Reaction score
Of our young reserve offensive lineman...

Phil Costa
Jeremy Parnell
Sam Young
Robert Brewster
Travis Bright

... who do you think has the best chance to one day contribute as a starter?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Phil Costa
Jeremy Parnell
Sam Young
Robert Brewster
Travis Bright

They seem to really like Costa and Young.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I don't know why Parnell is even here. A raw, undersized OT? wtf?

Agree with those who're saying that Young and Costa have a future, at least as tangible starters.

C

Cr122

I like Young as well but I'm not convinced he's starting material or not.

The scouts had some negative things to say about him. But he did start every game for the Irish at RT I believe.

sbk92

Reaction score
Young never developed into a quality starter in college. Why would he do so in the NFL?

I think people are so disgusted with the offensive line that they're willing to settle for mediocrity. There's isn't an offensive lineman on this team that would start on a quality line. Now and five years from now.

sdogo

Reaction score
Young never developed into a quality starter in college. Why would he do so in the NFL?

That's not true at all. People were anticipating him announcing that he would enter the draft after his JR year because he was a consensus first round pick. He had a down SR year but so did the entire program.

Reaction score
Mark Columbo looked as bad as any offensive lineman I've seen in recent memory, especially during the last few weeks of the season.

I don't understand why Young never received snaps at that position.

sbk92

Reaction score
That's not true at all. People were anticipating him announcing that he would enter the draft after his JR year because he was a consensus first round pick. He had a down SR year but so did the entire program.

You must have been looking at different boards than I was.

Talk to Notre Dame fans. They'll tell you Sam Young never developed into the player he was supposed to be. You don't go from consensus first round pick in your junior year to a late round flyer off of one down year.

sdogo

Reaction score

Talk to Notre Dame fans. They'll tell you Sam Young never developed into the player he was supposed to be. You don't go from consensus first round pick in your junior year to a late round flyer off of one down year.

No, he never lived up to the hype of his recruitment but I don't know any site or scout that did not feel his was a legitimate 1st round prospect after his JR year. It's not uncommon for a player to go from a early projected 1st round pick to dropping down or off the draft board entirely. Kai Parham comes to mind. He was a highly projected 3-4 LB from Virginia after his Soph year and well into his JR season. Some early projections had him gong in the 20's of the first round. He obviously bought into the hype even after receiving a 2nd round grade from the draft committee and declared for the draft passing up his SR season only to go undrafted.

Last edited:

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Phil Costa
Jeremy Parnell
Sam Young
Robert Brewster
Travis Bright

Phil Costa. Hopefully, we draft an LT and move Free to RT, move Gurode to either guard position. Don't know enough about Parnell.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

As if you have talked to Notre Dame fans. Of course not. You don't need to talk to anyone when you happen to be the greatest football mind ever.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
No, he never lived up to the hype of his recruitment but I don't know any site or scout that did not feel his was a legitimate 1st round prospect after his JR year. It's not uncommon for a player to go from a early projected 1st round pick to dropping down or off the draft board entirely. Kai Parham comes to mind. He was a highly projected 3-4 LB from Virginia after his Soph year and well into his JR season. Some early projections had him gong in the 20's of the first round. He obviously bought into the hype even after receiving a 2nd round grade from the draft committee and declared for the draft passing up his SR season only to go undrafted.

Duke Robinson of Oklahoma was another. He was projected as being the best guard in his class and he fell to the 6th round.

sdogo

Reaction score
Duke Robinson of Oklahoma was another. He was projected as being the best guard in his class and he fell to the 6th round.

Good call, I remember him being a favorite of Cowboys fans. There were more then a few mocks that had him going to us in the Round 1 and more so in Round 2 just prior to the draft.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Good call, I remember him being a favorite of Cowboys fans. There were more then a few mocks that had him going to us in the Round 1 and more so in Round 2 just prior to the draft.

Oh jeez, Silverbear was in love with the guy. He kept bringing up Larry Allen comparisons.

Reaction score
People drop drastically all the time.

Rod Wright was projected not only as a first rounder, but a likely top 10 pick. He returned to school and the next year fell to the 7th round.

More recently, there was an offensive tackle whos name escapes me at LSU who was projected as a first rounder. He wasn't even drafted, and I don't think anyone even picked him up as a UDFA.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
More recently, there was an offensive tackle whos name escapes me at LSU who was projected as a first rounder. He wasn't even drafted, and I don't think anyone even picked him up as a UDFA.

Ciron Black. Was a Top 5 pick in everyone's mock before the 2009 season and went undrafted and unsigned.

Top Bottom