C

Cr122

Jury still out on former A&M QB

By Tom Orsborn - Express-News
Web Posted: 08/03/2010 12:00 CDT

Stephen McGee (7) has made progress throwing the ball, but, as evidenced by his touchdown run in Monday's practice, the former Texas A&M star still is better known for his running ability.

Stephen McGee is ready to make up for some lost time.

McGee, the Dallas Cowboys’ third-string quarterback, missed out on some valuable reps as a rookie last year after a knee injury forced him to miss the final two preseason games.

With his health restored, McGee is counting the days until the Cowboys open exhibition play Sunday against Cincinnati.

“It’s been a long time coming, and I’m excited about the opportunity ahead,” he said Monday.

The Cowboys love the Texas A&M alumnus’ 6-foot-3, 222-pound size and his gung-ho attitude, but they remain uncertain whether he’s a developmental project worth keeping.

How he performs in the preseason, particularly in terms of making the right decisions quickly, could determine whether the Cowboys use a draft pick next season on a quarterback.

“Sometimes he drops back and doesn’t see things quite right or doesn’t get the ball out,” quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson said. “He’s made progress, no question. It’s just a matter of him processing information when he is actually out on the field having to make decisions.”

Determined to prove he belongs, McGee went to work immediately after Minnesota knocked Dallas out of the playoffs.

“I feel a lot more comfortable, a lot more confident, and it comes from what I did in the offseason,” McGee said. “After the playoff game against Minnesota, I was in there working, lifting, meeting with Coach Wilson, trying to learn everything I could and work on drops, work on rhythm, timing, all that stuff.”

In offseason practices, McGee showed he could get rid of the ball on time. He’s made more progress at training camp, where he sometimes leads the third-team offense against the first-team defense.

“It’s kind of unfair for the quarterback,” coach Wade Phillips said.

“But I think it’s made him speed up his decision-making process.”
McGee had a praise-worthy moment in practice Monday, running for a touchdown during goal-line work.

“What he needs to do because of his skill set is every once in a while he’s got to run with it,” Phillips said. “Actually, he did it on the goal line today, and that’s what you want to see because that’s what he can do well. I thought that was a good sign right there.”
Still, McGee will primarily be judged by how well he passes.

“I see the defenses,” he said. “That’s never been an issue for me. I understand exactly what we are doing and where I need to go with the ball. ... It’s just a matter of getting the ball out ... just ripping it, trusting the (receivers) to be where they are supposed to be. But it’s something that’s a little more difficult to come by without a lot of reps.”

That shouldn’t be a problem in the preseason.

“With five preseason games, our young players will be able to get extra snaps,” offensive coordinator Jason Garrett said. “And nobody needs extra snaps more than quarterbacks, particularly young quarterbacks. Whatever the number is — it might be 30, 40, 50 more snaps — he’ll get work.”

Top Bottom