C

Cr122

Cowboys' Bryant faces huge hurdle
Ankle sprain may shelve rookie for preseason
By TOM ORSBORN San Antonio Express-News
Aug. 1, 2010, 12:07AM

SAN ANTONIO — Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo downplayed concerns that Dez Bryant's high right ankle sprain will be a major setback for the rookie wide receiver.

"He has a good feel for the game," Romo said Saturday. "He'll be fine when he gets back out here. Hopefully, we can get a preseason game in (together). He's a hard-working kid, so he'll be ready to go."

One day after Bryant went down in a collision with cornerback Orlando Scandrick at the Alamodome, the Cowboys expressed optimism that their first-round draft pick will make a speedy recovery from an injury expected to sideline him four to six weeks.

"He's a young guy, and you'd bet that he'd be on the down side of it," owner Jerry Jones said.

Wearing a walking boot on his right leg, Bryant watched the last 30 minutes of the afternoon practice. He spoke briefly to reporters as he hobbled off the field, saying he felt great, wasn't disappointed and had no timetable for a return.

Bryant is in danger of missing the entire preseason and possibly the Sept. 12 regular-season opener at Washington.

"It's a huge (hurdle) to overcome when you hear the time frame he's going to possibly be out," wide receivers coach Ray Sherman said.

While Bryant suggested his spirits are high, Jones and Sherman described Bryant as "very disappointed."

"I'm disappointed for him because he gets up and goes to bed thinking about being out here practicing," Jones said. "He loves it."

Bryant's state of mind is also a concern for Sherman.

"That's my job as a coach," Sherman said. "I'm going to stay on top of it. We talk every day. I'm going to make sure I do that, and I'll probably do it more than I have been."

Bryant suffered the injury while attempting to catch a Jon Kitna pass over the middle on the next-to-last play of Friday's practice. With the pass thrown slightly behind him, Bryant smacked into Scandrick, who fell on Bryant's leg.

The Cowboys may have to turn to veteran Patrick Crayton if Bryant doesn't heal in time.

After the Cowboys drafted Bryant 24th overall in April, Crayton was given permission to seek a trade and indicated he wanted to be released from his contract.

Crayton had declared himself a $2 million "insurance policy" - his salary for 2010 - after the Cowboys didn't trade or release him.

C

Cr122

I seriously don't want to rush him back that it becomes a problem through the entire season.

I'd rather he rest it, and heal 100% then have him come back.

Wr's always have an average first year anyway, and it's not like we are weak in that area.

But we will be a better group with him in there, especially in the return game.

Top Bottom