Reaction score
Wade's need for speed

By Tom Orsborn

Cowboys coach Phillips is obsessed with sporting a roster filled with speedy, quick, well-conditioned players.

To that end, all the players reported to camp either at or under their desired weights. Several, including Marion Barber, Mike Jenkins and Tony Romo lost weight.

"I always tell them I want them to run as fast as they can run...I'd rather them be quicker and faster (than big)," Phillips said. "You can see they can play up to their ability (when they are lighter)."

Phillips cited Bruce Smith as an example. The coach said the Hall of Fame defensive end was at his best when he went from 300 pounds to 275 pounds.

"Even though they are not as gigantic as they were, they are quicker," said Phillips, who coached Smith in Buffalo. "They are faster. They can play better."

Phillips said he leans on strength and conditioning coach Joe Juraszek's input when trying to determine weights.

"He has them for 16 weeks (for offseason conditioning), so he has a good feel," Phillips said.

Reaction score
And this is why Wade is a better coach in todays NFL, than Parcells.

Parcells is stuck in the 1980's NFL, where size wins. Todays NFL relies on speed.

C

Cr122

And this is why Wade is a better coach in todays NFL, than Parcells.

Parcells is stuck in the 1980's NFL, where size wins. Todays NFL relies on speed.

I wouldn't say Bill doesn't like players with speed and prefers fat guys. Bill can motivate anything with two legs.

Top Bottom