dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Mosley: As free-agent QBs sign elsewhere, Jerry's blind loyalty to Romo could doom Cowboys again

By Matt Mosley , Special Contributor Contact Matt Mosley on Twitter: @mattmosley

The one thing about refusing to participate in free agency until it officially begins is that you can't get whacked by the NFL for tampering, like the Kansas City Chiefs. The Dallas Cowboys have an anti-tampering approach, choosing to let the big-ticket items fly off the shelves before engaging in the process.

They've re-signed Rolando McClain and cornerback Josh Thomas. They've also brought in former Eagles starting defensive tackle Cedric Thornton, whose one sack last season was Tony Romo. I remember Thomas as a fifth-round pick out of Buffalo in 2011. The Cowboys tried to sneak him through to the practice squad, but the Baltimore Ravens signed him to their 45-man roster. Then they tried the same thing as the Cowboys, only to have the Carolina Panthers pounce. Now he's back to fight for a spot in a much-maligned secondary that has been allergic to takeaways.

The Cowboys have barely dipped their toes in the free-agency waters, while the Giants and Eagles have been extremely active. I think the Giants will be a much better defensive team with the additions of edge rusher Olivier Vernon, cornerback Janoris Jenkins and tackle Damon Harrison. The organization hasn't had a truly reliable cornerback since Corey Webster. Folks are fixated by Vernon only having 7.5 sacks last season, but scouts say he was dominant in the second half of the season. Former Cowboys defensive end Anthony Spencer had a similar half-season, but injuries derailed his career.

I thought Eagles vice president of football operations Howie Roseman did a nice job dumping the large salaries of Byron Maxwell and DeMarco Murray. I didn't think the addition of safety Byron McLeod for $37.5 million made a lot of sense. And I'm wondering if the Rams have anyone left to play in the secondary this season.

Where the Cowboys sat on their hands was at quarterback. If there's one spot on the roster they should overpay, it's backup quarterback. I'm not sure how you can watch Brandon Weeden and Matt Cassel lose all those games and then decide to go after someone like 32-year-old Matt Moore. The Eagles and Redskins secured their backup spots with Chase Daniel and Colt McCoy. The Houston Texans dropped about $37 million guaranteed on Brock Osweiler to be their starter. The Cowboys just watched their starting quarterback have a procedure to stabilize the collarbone that he broke twice last season.

Maybe Jerry Jones will surprise us all and take a quarterback in the first or second round, but that's not how he's talking. It looks more and more like Ohio State defensive end Joey Bosa will end up as the Cowboys' first-round pick. Jones appears to be in denial about Romo's career, which is why he keeps saying Tony has 4-5 years left. No one in this organization seems to be encouraging Jones to take either Jared Goff or Carson Wentz with that No. 4 pick. And even if the Cowboys thought Wentz was worthy of that pick, Jones would worry about Romo's reaction.

Jones isn't going to draft a player that high and then let him sit for three years. Everyone loves bringing up Aaron Rodgers, but he slipped to No. 24 in that draft. And someone should correct Jerry when he keeps talking about how Rodgers was mentored by Favre. The two had an icy relationship at the start.

Starting quarterbacks don't always embrace the quarterbacks who will soon replace them. Donovan McNabb was incensed when the Eagles drafted Kevin Kolb in the second round. He actually treated Kolb well, but he hated the move. It wouldn't surprise me if Jones is seeking Romo's advice on what to do at quarterback. And I can assure you Romo isn't encouraging him to take one in the first two rounds.

Knowing Jerry wasn't dying to draft a quarterback, the Cowboys needed to be more proactive in finding a quality backup. Moore was a nice find for Dallas in 2007. But he's not a huge upgrade from Weeden or Cassel in 2016. Or maybe even Kellen Moore.

Jones is blinded by his loyalty to Romo, and that could lay the groundwork for another failed season.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
mosely has always been a critic of Romo so this pile of garbage is no surprise.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
mosely has always been a critic of Romo so this pile of garbage is no surprise.

don't see anything in that article that would qualify as garbage....looks like he is stating the obvious truth

Reaction score
So, would Mosley think signing Johnny Football as an FA would be a good or bad thing?

Reaction score
Mosley seems really all over the place in this article.

Secondly, hard to give the Redskins and Eagles props for the backups they secured. Are Colt McCoy and Chase Daniels any more 'qualified' than Matt Cassell was? They're only marginally better than Kellen Moore, IMO. Neither are going to win you games.

Finally... Jerrys blind loyalty to his ego has been dooming us for two decades now, so this is nothing new.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
McCoy had a lot of success the last two times he faced us. Definitely see him as an upgrade over Cassel, Moore, etc.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So, would Mosley think signing Johnny Football as an FA would be a good or bad thing?

I dont think he would think its anything but bad.

There's no way in hell this team should bring that loser in here.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Mosley seems really all over the place in this article.

Secondly, hard to give the Redskins and Eagles props for the backups they secured. Are Colt McCoy and Chase Daniels any more 'qualified' than Matt Cassell was? They're only marginally better than Kellen Moore, IMO. Neither are going to win you games.

Finally... Jerrys blind loyalty to his ego has been dooming us for two decades now, so this is nothing new.

McCoy and Daniels have actually won games in the NFL. Kellen Moore is horrible.

Last edited:

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Mosley: As free-agent QBs sign elsewhere, Jerry's blind loyalty to Romo could doom Cowboys again

By Matt Mosley , Special Contributor Contact Matt Mosley on Twitter: @mattmosley

The one thing about refusing to participate in free agency until it officially begins is that you can't get whacked by the NFL for tampering, like the Kansas City Chiefs. The Dallas Cowboys have an anti-tampering approach, choosing to let the big-ticket items fly off the shelves before engaging in the process.

They've re-signed Rolando McClain and cornerback Josh Thomas. They've also brought in former Eagles starting defensive tackle Cedric Thornton, whose one sack last season was Tony Romo. I remember Thomas as a fifth-round pick out of Buffalo in 2011. The Cowboys tried to sneak him through to the practice squad, but the Baltimore Ravens signed him to their 45-man roster. Then they tried the same thing as the Cowboys, only to have the Carolina Panthers pounce. Now he's back to fight for a spot in a much-maligned secondary that has been allergic to takeaways.

The Cowboys have barely dipped their toes in the free-agency waters, while the Giants and Eagles have been extremely active. I think the Giants will be a much better defensive team with the additions of edge rusher Olivier Vernon, cornerback Janoris Jenkins and tackle Damon Harrison. The organization hasn't had a truly reliable cornerback since Corey Webster. Folks are fixated by Vernon only having 7.5 sacks last season, but scouts say he was dominant in the second half of the season. Former Cowboys defensive end Anthony Spencer had a similar half-season, but injuries derailed his career.

I thought Eagles vice president of football operations Howie Roseman did a nice job dumping the large salaries of Byron Maxwell and DeMarco Murray. I didn't think the addition of safety Byron McLeod for $37.5 million made a lot of sense. And I'm wondering if the Rams have anyone left to play in the secondary this season.

Where the Cowboys sat on their hands was at quarterback. If there's one spot on the roster they should overpay, it's backup quarterback. I'm not sure how you can watch Brandon Weeden and Matt Cassel lose all those games and then decide to go after someone like 32-year-old Matt Moore. The Eagles and Redskins secured their backup spots with Chase Daniel and Colt McCoy. The Houston Texans dropped about $37 million guaranteed on Brock Osweiler to be their starter. The Cowboys just watched their starting quarterback have a procedure to stabilize the collarbone that he broke twice last season.

Maybe Jerry Jones will surprise us all and take a quarterback in the first or second round, but that's not how he's talking. It looks more and more like Ohio State defensive end Joey Bosa will end up as the Cowboys' first-round pick. Jones appears to be in denial about Romo's career, which is why he keeps saying Tony has 4-5 years left. No one in this organization seems to be encouraging Jones to take either Jared Goff or Carson Wentz with that No. 4 pick. And even if the Cowboys thought Wentz was worthy of that pick, Jones would worry about Romo's reaction.

Jones isn't going to draft a player that high and then let him sit for three years. Everyone loves bringing up Aaron Rodgers, but he slipped to No. 24 in that draft. And someone should correct Jerry when he keeps talking about how Rodgers was mentored by Favre. The two had an icy relationship at the start.

Starting quarterbacks don't always embrace the quarterbacks who will soon replace them. Donovan McNabb was incensed when the Eagles drafted Kevin Kolb in the second round. He actually treated Kolb well, but he hated the move. It wouldn't surprise me if Jones is seeking Romo's advice on what to do at quarterback. And I can assure you Romo isn't encouraging him to take one in the first two rounds.

Knowing Jerry wasn't dying to draft a quarterback, the Cowboys needed to be more proactive in finding a quality backup. Moore was a nice find for Dallas in 2007. But he's not a huge upgrade from Weeden or Cassel in 2016. Or maybe even Kellen Moore.

Jones is blinded by his loyalty to Romo, and that could lay the groundwork for another failed season.

Laying the groundwork for another failed season? You mean he's laying the ground work for another failed decade.

Last edited:

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
It's easier for Philly to go after a backup because their starter fucking sucks.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It's not Jerry's blind loyalty to Romo that is the problem; but rather his blind, stupid, and unearned loyalty to Garrett.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Plus it's not so much "blind loyalty" as it is, marriage. Financially, Dallas is married to Tony.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Re-nup may be more fitting.

Who would have ever thought that restructuring a guy for like 5 consecutive seasons could turn out badly?

Giving a guy a mega deal without having him even sniff a physical was the bigger problem there

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Giving a guy a mega deal without having him even sniff a physical was the bigger problem there

this physical BS is hilarious. It is the NFL's wink and nod for a way for a team to back out of a deal. I have seen a lot of players with serious injury history suddenly pass the so called vital physical.

They knew full well Romo's physical condition - the teams doctors had HOW MANY YEARS with him?

Top Bottom