C

Cr122

08:58 PM CDT on Thursday, July 29, 2010

NFL Hall-of-Famer and former Cowboys wide receiver Michael Irvin defended Cowboys rookie Dez Bryant on his decision not to carry fellow wide receiver Roy Williams’ pads during training camp. Here are some highlights:

If you were still with the Cowboys and you told Dez to carry your pads and he didn’t, what would you response have been?

Well, first of all, let me say this: I have never said don’t do anything that will bring a team closer together. But now that being said, let me be Dez Bryant. I am a competitor and I know I’m trying to take this guy’s job. I know Dez, he’s saying the right thing and Roy…I’m fine. But I’m playing against this guy right now. He said he didn’t know about these carrying the pads rules. All he wants to do, when I talk to him, he says, “Michael, I’m not just wearing this jersey. I want to wear this jersey and wear those rings that you have also.” I like that competitive spirit.

If the kid did not know…now in my approach, if you don’t know, I’m going to sit here and say, “This is what we do, man. This is what we do.” He said he did not know so somebody never told him that. Now, after I sit and tell him this is what we do and he doesn’t do it, then he and I’ll have a talk. I’m not running and telling any press or anything like that but he and I will have a talk. Especially since I am a leader on this football team who has produced. Now you better listen to me because I know how to make it work and I know what to make you do. And that’s the seriousness of it. I have no problem with what Dez has done though because his attitude is the attitude the Dallas Cowboys need to go into Minnesota, when you’re down and in a dome and come back and win that game. He has a competitor’s spirit. He says, “All I want to do is win games.” I have no issues with that. As a matter of fact, that’s exactly what the Cowboys need.

So you wouldn’t have carried Roy Williams’ pads because he isn’t one of those breadwinners that has been through the fire and made big plays?

Well, no, no. First of all, I’m older than Roy so I wouldn’t be carrying his pads but that’s not the issue. What I’m saying though is the competitive that goes on in camp. You have a guy that’s ready to push your team that got as far as this team got last year. They got to that second round in Minnesota. Now, what do you want? You want some rookie, your top draft pick, to come in and say, “I just want to be here. I’m happy to be here.” Or do you want a guy that’s going to put everybody on notice: “Hey man, I’m here to win games and I will make plays.” I say the latter makes everybody work harder and gets you over that ladder to the championship.

Top Bottom