Reaction score
Mark Sanchez wanted to fight Rex Ryan

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 15, 2011, 4:06 PM EDT

Now that we’ve addressed the important pictures in Mark Sanchez’s GQ spread, we can get to the silly little quotes about football.

Sanchez said he was upset Rex Ryan told the media he considered benching Sanchez during an ugly loss to the Dolphins.

“I wanted to fight him,” Sanchez said. ”I was really mad. . . . Rex is super honest. I wish he wasn’t that honest at times, especially to say that.”

The real drama came days later at practice. Sanchez saw that Mark Brunell was slated to get snaps with the first team, which was a change from the norm. Sanchez wouldn’t leave the huddle.

“I was like, ‘He can come tell me. And [Schottenheimer] is like, ‘Come on, man, don’t do that,’” Sanchez said.

Guard Brandon Moore called it a “tense moment” that gained respect from his teammates.

“It was his huddle, his team and he was exactly right. I like that,” Brunell told ESPNNewYork.com’s Rich Cimini.

The entire episode tells you a lot about Sanchez’s competitiveness, but it’s not particularly surprising. The quarterbacks you want leading your team are going to fight against getting benched.

Sanchez wanted to fight Ryan, which is exactly what Ryan wanted.

Top Bottom