C

Cr122

Jerry Jones: I was analytical, not critical
July, 31, 2010

By Tim MacMahon
SAN ANTONIO – Jerry Jones doesn’t regret his comments regarding Dez Bryant’s workload putting him at risk, but the owner insists he didn’t intend to rip the Cowboys’ coaching staff.

Jones suggested in the wake of Dez Bryant’s high ankle sprain that the rookie receiver’s workload during training camp might have had something to do with his injury.After sleeping on it, Jones said he didn’t intend to rip the coaching staff, but he didn’t back off his comments, either.

“ I'm not being critical,” Jones said after Saturday morning’s practice. “What I'm being is analytical, or trying to be analytical.

“This is when you all sit down and look at everything you're doing and see if there's some things you can do to help protect your team better, especially during this time five to six weeks away from the opening game.”

That’s always been a priority for Wade Phillips during training camp, which is why the Cowboys don’t tackle except for in games. Phillips has even been (wrongly) criticized for not pushing his team hard enough during camp, with some media members mockingly referring to the first trip during the Alamodome under Phillips’ watch as Camp Cupcake.

After watching a replay of Orlando Scandrick falling on Bryant’s ankle, causing an injury that will sideline the first-round pick for four to six weeks, Jones questioned to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen whether the Cowboys were pushing Bryant too hard. He added that players often get injured when they are tired.

“I haven't seen them taken wrong yet in terms of any comment I've made since this injury,” Jones said. “I'm not worried about, when you're getting it right and we're just talking about that, and any ways we can during this period of time to mitigate injuries.

“That's why some of these veteran players are having limited practice. That's right in line with that kind of thing. Wade's one of the best that I've ever been around at this.”

That didn’t stop Jones from second-guessing his coaching staff. However, the coaches didn’t seem to be concerned about the issue.

“I don’t think he’s overworked,” receivers coach Ray Sheman said. “We divide the reps up with everybody. It was just one of those freak things. He didn’t pull a hamstring or anything like that. It was just one of those freak things where a guy fell on his leg. It was just one of those freak things.”

Added offensive coordinator Jason Garrett: “It’s always been something that we try to monitor with our players, how many snaps they’re getting. We do that with all our guys. That hasn’t been an issue that’s come up.”

Yeah, it hasn’t come up, except for the owner raising the issue on national television.

Top Bottom