sbk92

Reaction score
Chef told by Gordon Ramsay that his business was about to 'swim down the Hudson' is found dead after jump into river

By Daily Mail Reporter

article-1315732-0B612151000005DC-595_468x332.jpg

It was the prediction that has now come back to haunt Gordon Ramsay.

In 2007, while filming an episode of Kitchen Nightmares, the celebrity chef had harsh words for New Jersey restaurateur Joseph Cerniglia: his business was about to 'swim down the Hudson'.

This week it was revealed that Cerniglia, a 39-year-old father of three, is believed to have leapt to his death into the Hudson from the George Washington Bridge.

Cerniglia's body was found floating in the river around 3pm Friday, just hours after a passer-by had phoned police to report he had seen a man jump from the bridge.

Police have not officially ruled his death a suicide, but have said they do not believe any 'criminality' was involved.

Cerniglia had said on the 2007 show that he owed $80,000 (£50,500) to his suppliers.
'I am financially in trouble,' the owner of a restaurant called Campania said.

'The debt of this restaurant alone is overwhelming... my personal debt: wife, kids, mortgage - that's a lot of debt.'

Ramsay had given his restaurant, in Fairlawn, New Jersey, a scathing review.

In the typically-blunt style that has made him famous, he blasted the chef's cooking as 'bland' and said he thought he was in over his head.

'Why would you decide to go into business if you haven't got a clue how to run a business?' he demanded of the stressed chef.

He also blasted Cerniglia for wasting large amounts of money.

Cerniglia told the show that his money problems were serious. His family admitted it was affecting his demeanour.

In the show, Cerniglia's mother Pat said: 'I worry about Joe. I worry about his stress levels.'

'The hardest thing for me is people like us put everything on the line for a dream,' his emotional wife, Melissa, said on the show.

'I just want to see him... succeed.'

sbk92

Reaction score
This guy was my favorite chef they've had on the show. I always planned to try out Campania whenever I got to the area. It's not that far from me. A little over an hour.

Ballsy to do what he did. I can't imagine the mindset you have to have to leap off a bridge to your death by drowning.

Reaction score
Ballsy to do what he did. I can't imagine the mindset you have to have to leap off a bridge to your death by drowning.

1. I'm not sure how high off the water the GWB, but he would more than likely be knocked out or even die upon impact from hitting the water, as is the case with most bridge jumpers.

2. There's nothing ballsy about killing yourself and leaving your wife and three kids behind.

C

Cr122

Oh. Probably over the side on the area that extends above the water.

Again, just a guess.
I'm not trying to be an asshole, really.

I was just wondering because he must of been really messed up to jump off that bridge, and some spots on that bridge are pretty damn high.

sbk92

Reaction score
I've driven over that bridge, so I know how high it is. According to reports I read, he didn't die from the fall. He drowned. Now whether he was knocked out when he hit the water, I don't know.

sbk92

Reaction score
On a side note, Ramsay actually almost drowned to death not too long ago but he got fished out by his buddies.

sbk92

Reaction score
When did this happen?

Ramsay: I feared I was a goner

By SARA NATHAN
TV Editor

Published: 28 Jul 2008

GORDON Ramsay cheated death after plunging off a cliff - then landing in freezing cold water where he nearly drowned, The Sun can reveal.

The TV chef, 41, slipped as he clambered down a 280 ft. drop while filming Channel 4's The F Word off Iceland.

He landed in a creek but was weighed down by his heavy boots and could not get to the surface.

Gordon said last night: "I thought I was a goner.

"They say cats have nine lives. I've had 12 already and I don't know how many more I'll have.

"I remember thinking, 'Oh f***'. My boots and my waterproofs were dragging me down.

"I'm an extremely good swimmer, but I couldn't get to the surface. I was panicking and my lungs were filling with water.

"When I got to the top after getting my boots off I was dazed and my head was totally numb."

The TV crew - who feared the worst after he failed to surface for 45 seconds - lobbed him a rope and towed him to safety.

The dad of four was treated at his hotel for a bloody gash on his leg and later had a check-up at London's Cromwell Hospital.

Gordon also had to face his furious wife Tana, 33. He admitted: "I didn't tell her at first.

"I chickened out but she knew something was up. She was upset and extremely p****d off. When I was underwater all I could think of was Tana and my kids. It wasn't until I was on the plane home I realised what a close call I'd had."

He revealed his chef missus may not allow him to film new Channel 4 show Dangerous Food for Boys now.

The accident happened when Gordon was hunting puffins in Iceland's Westman Islands.

He was also bitten on the nose by one of the angry birds and needed three stitches.

He said: "They put make-up on my nose and Jesus Christ it looks bad. I keep saying one of my kids punched me. I'm too embarrassed to say it was a puffin."

His decision to use the birds has raised eyebrows but he insisted: "We had a licence to cull 1,000. I didn't realise how difficult they are to cook, but they're very tasty!"

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/article1477002.ece

Top Bottom