C

Cr122

Updated: July 19, 2010, 12:09 PM ET
Kennison retires as a Chief

* Email
* Print
* Comments49

ESPN.com news services

Receiver Eddie Kennison signed a one-day contract with the Kansas City Chiefs on Monday so he could retire as a member of the organization.

Kennison
Kennison

"I am honored and humbled to officially conclude my NFL playing career as a member of the Kansas City Chiefs," Kennison said in a statement. "My family is extremely grateful to the Hunt family, Scott Pioli and the Chiefs organization for making this moment possible. Kansas City has a special place in our hearts, and has truly become our home. I feel very blessed to have been extended the opportunity to retire as a member of the Chiefs."

Kennison ranks seventh in Chiefs franchise history with 5,230 yards and his 321 receptions are the eighth-most in team history. In addition, he had 17 100-yard receiving games in his time with the Chiefs, the fourth-most in franchise history.

In 179 career games with the Chiefs, St. Louis Rams, Chicago Bears, Denver Broncos and New Orleans Saints, the 37-year-old Kennison had 548 receptions for 8,345 yards and 42 touchdowns.

He did not play last season after being released by the Chiefs after the 2008 season.

Kennison, who played collegiately at LSU, was the 18th overall pick of the 1996 NFL draft by the Rams.

Top Bottom