C

Cr122

Keith Brooking to miss Cowboys' afternoon practice Sunday

08:19 PM CDT on Saturday, July 24, 2010

BY GERRY FRALEY / The Dallas Morning News
gfaley@dallasnews.com

Wade Phillips plans on keeping veteran inside linebacker Keith Brooking out of the afternoon session Sunday, when the Cowboys have their first two-a-day practice.

The move would be a concession to Brooking's age (34) as much as his off-season knee surgery. Brooking said the knee has healed and that he wants to participate in every practice but understands the value of staying off the Alamodome's artificial turf.

"My purpose is to be at my best for Week 1," Brooking said. "Whatever I have to do for that to take place, I'll do. But I'll be kicking and fighting it."

Briefly: On the final play of practice, cornerback Orlando Scandrick knocked down a Jon Kitna throw. Scandrick is playing with a hard-shell cast on the left index finger, which was shattered on a similar play during Organized Team Activities. Scandrick missed some off-season work because of the injury and said he needs time to regain his timing. ... Late addition Jay Moore, an outside linebacker recently released by Tennessee, missed the practice. According to the Cowboys, Moore has not yet signed his contract. ... Defensive tackle Lorenzo Washington, an undrafted rookie, went on the physically unable to perform list because of a hamstring problem.

Top Bottom