DCFanInVA80

Spectator
Reaction score
Our de facto GM Will McClay doesn't like to draft small school prospects. So I doubt we will take Wentz at 4th overall.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
We won't take a QB at #4 no matter who is available. They've already said we're good with Romo.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Our de facto GM Will McClay doesn't like to draft small school prospects. So I doubt we will take Wentz at 4th overall.

He wont be available.

But he isn't the ordinary small school prospect. He seems to be the consensus top QB in the draft.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
He wont be available.

But he isn't the ordinary small school prospect. He seems to be the consensus top QB in the draft.
BS about consensus. A lot of those pushing Wentz have made huge mistakes (jumongus) in the past.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
North Dakota State is a Division 1 team that won straight 5 straight FCS Championships, including wins over several FBS teams. They aren't really a small school anymore.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
BS about consensus. A lot of those pushing Wentz have made huge mistakes (jumongus) in the past.

Every draft guru/personnel guy is wrong about somebody.

That said, I was referring to NFLN's recent article and blurb on TV from Charlie Casserly poll of NFL execs, and he said a majority of the 15 he spoke to had Wentz as the #1 guy. It also seems a number of other draft gurus have come out and pronounced Wentz the #1 guy (note, I think Kiper said today he still has Goff as his #1 QB)

Could they be wrong? Sure they could.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
We won't take a QB at #4 no matter who is available. They've already said we're good with Romo.

Not to mention we have Kellen Moore who is going to lead us to the promised land when Romo gets hurt.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Every draft guru/personnel guy is wrong about somebody.

That said, I was referring to NFLN's recent article and blurb on TV from Charlie Casserly poll of NFL execs, and he said a majority of the 15 he spoke to had Wentz as the #1 guy. It also seems a number of other draft gurus have come out and pronounced Wentz the #1 guy (note, I think Kiper said today he still has Goff as his #1 QB)

Could they be wrong? Sure they could.

Gil Brandt is also a fan of Wentz.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I wonder what the breakdown was at this time before the 98 Draft when the debate was between Manning and Leach?

I remember looking at both of them and wondering how anyone really could claim Leach was the better prospect. Sure physically he had the edge but there were little red flags here and there that hinted at what came.

Manning meanwhile was absolutely a complete football fanatic; he lived slept ate and crapped football.

Now in this case I have not seen any ref flags personality wise or mental problems as regards Wentz; but he clearly finishes second to Goff as regards that area. Now Goff is not manning; I doubt you will ever see anyone to match Manning in that area. But everything I have been able to find on Goff says taht the edge in that area goes to him. And to me that makes him the less Risky Choice.

Last edited:

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
What makes you think Goff has better football character, is a harder worker, etc than Wentz?

Not that I'm a Wentz fanboy -- I'm the opposite, I prefer Goff. But that's because I think Goff has tremendous touch and accuracy, which is probably the most important thing at the NFL level. I haven't heard anything about the work ethic one way or another between the two.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I wonder what the breakdown was at this time before the 98 Draft when the debate was between Manning and Leach?

I remember looking at both of them and wondering how anyone really could claim Leach was the better prospect. Sure physically he had the edge but there were little red flags here and there that hinted at what came.

Manning meanwhile was absolutely a complete football fanatic; he lived slept ate and crapped football.

Now in this case I have not seen any ref flags personality wise or mental problems as regards Wentz; but he clearly finishes second to Goff as regards that area. Now Goff is not manning; I doubt you will ever see anyone to match Manning in that area. But everything I have been able to find on Goff says taht the edge in that area goes to him. And to me that makes him the less Risky Choice.

You have to remember that Manning wasn't even really Manning at that time. He had a rep coming out of college that he had all the intangibles (and tangibles) he just couldn't win the big game. He was kind of thought of as a choker (especially by the people that hated Tennessee). People thought he would end up being like his dad, a career or great numbers but no rings. They were obviously all wrong but that was the theory on him at the time from what I remember.

From what I remember about Ryan Leaf, he looked the part. He was big, strong arm, athletic, and was exciting to watch. I believe he was a little bit younger than Manning too. He didn't have all the intangibles that Manning had like the leadership qualities but people thought he had a higher ceiling. Plus he was much more mobile and athletic than Manning. Like you said though, there were red flags. There are always coaches though that thing they can coach the bad habits out of them and teach them to be leaders.

Unfortunately for the Chargers Leaf's immaturity and stupidity far outweighed their coaching abilities.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Bledsoe-Mirer was closer than Manning-Leaf. Bill Walsh was a big Mirer fan. :facepalm

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
What makes you think Goff has better football character, is a harder worker, etc than Wentz?

Not that I'm a Wentz fanboy -- I'm the opposite, I prefer Goff. But that's because I think Goff has tremendous touch and accuracy, which is probably the most important thing at the NFL level. I haven't heard anything about the work ethic one way or another between the two.

The only thing I've really heard about either guy that comes across as a negative is Goff (besides the small hands). I've heard that when he's been interviewed he comes across as being aloof and extremely laid back. Laid back to the point that he doesn't seem like he would always give his all.

The same people that said that though also said that as soon as you watch video of him, none of that demeanor transfers to the field.

That's about the most negative thing I've heard about either of them.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Bledsoe-Mirer was closer than Manning-Leaf. Bill Walsh was a big Mirer fan. :facepalm

Just like RGIII didn't Mirer win ROY? Or at least Co-ROY? Mirer's fall was due more to his inability to adapt once defenses figured him out.

Smith/Rodgers was a big debate too before their draft. Still not sure what caused Rodgers to fall so far.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Not sure where you guys are getting this info

Based on everything I've read...all of the intangibles Cleary favor Wentz

Top Bottom