C

Cr122

2-Minute Drill With . . . Patrick Crayton
Rowan Kavner
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

SAN ANTONIO - Veteran wide receiver Patrick Crayton voiced concern in the offseason about his cloudy future after the Cowboys drafted wide receiver Dez Bryant with the 24th pick in this year's NFL draft.

Now, the seventh-year veteran out of Northwestern Oklahoma State is ready to put it all behind him for training camp and compete for playing time at a crowded position.

Do you let the off-the-field stuff take care of itself and just handle what's on the field? Patrick Crayton: That's it. Nothing I can control. All I can control is what is on the green field.

How's the talent and competition at wide receiver? PC: It's great. Every day, every play, every time you get out on this field, you better bring your game with you. That's what makes the NFL. If you're not a competitor, you might as well stay in the locker room.

It seems sometimes during a practice you might be able to take a little bit off. This year, is the wide receiver position so good that's not possible? PC: You're never supposed to take a play off, ever. Even if it's a run play, you're not having to run 50 yards down the field, but you've still got to make the block. You can't take a play off right now.

What are the expectations? PC: Every year our goal is to get the ultimate prize. Right now, that's what we're working on, each day, practice by practice. That's all we can do right now. We can't control what goes on in February.

Are you ready to get on the field and get over the offseason situation? PC: I'm just anxious. I'm getting antsy. It's in the past. If you all stop talking about it, it can really be in the past. It's called history for a reason. You don't always bring history up.

How do you explain Miles Austin's sudden rise? Is it similar to what Tony went through? PC:When you get an opportunity like that and the ball's coming your way, you make the most of it and make a play, and that's what he did.

How do you feel the receiving corps is coming together? PC: It's going together real good. We're starting to get timing and get connected with the QBs. You're going to have your incompletions the first part of camp, but as it goes on it starts clicking more and more.

Top Bottom