Reaction score
Josh Brent aims to return to NFL
Updated: July 30, 2014, 9:18 PM ET
By Adam Schefter | ESPN

Former Cowboys defensive tackle Josh Brent will meet with Commissioner Roger Goodell by the end of next week, if not sooner, in an effort to gain reentry to the NFL, according to his agent Peter Schaffer.

Brent was released from a Dallas addiction rehabilitation facility Tuesday.

Brent retired prior to the 2013 season and prior to the trial that convicted him of intoxication manslaughter for the December 2012 crash that killed his friend and Cowboys teammate, Jerry Brown Jr.

"There are a lot of bridges that had to be crossed to get to this point and there still are bridges that have to be crossed now," said Schaffer.

"But I do believe he is a much mature and aware individual. He'll be a better player and person. He'll be playing with a sense of purpose for Jerry's family and people will see he deserves a second chance."

Schaffer said there were multiple requirements for Brent to get to this point. He had to spend close to 45 days at the Enter Health Facility in Dallas area, where Brent built up a support system that still is helping rehabilitate him.

Brent also went to the Brown family to get their blessing on resuming his NFL career, and Schaffer said they happily extended it.

Now Brent needs Goodell to be comfortable reinstating him, and the Cowboys must determine whether they want to bring him back to their roster.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Oh, as soon as Goodell lets him play, whenever that is, Jerry is having him back. He's been saying as much in interviews all week.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I don't really think I have a problem with him getting another chance to play in the NFL. I just don't think it should be here.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
This calls for a celebration. He can be the limo driver for the entire Jones family after drinks.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't really think I have a problem with him getting another chance to play in the NFL. I just don't think it should be here.

Leonard Little killed some innocent woman (I believe the wife of a Ram season ticket holder) and returned in the same season he did it to play for the Rams

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Leonard Little killed some innocent woman (I believe the wife of a Ram season ticket holder) and returned in the same season he did it to play for the Rams

Oh for real David?

Was she a teammate?

No?

Okay then dummie.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh for real David?

Was she a teammate?

No?

Okay then dummie.

Wasn't trying to validate that he should be allowed to come back here, just that there was some precedent

In Little's case, the league and the team (Rams) did that despite the fact the victim's family and numerous people from the community protested loudly against it. In Brent's case, it seems that the victims family is actually encouraging Jones and the Cowboys to let him return here.

I don't personally think he should come back here.

Reaction score

it doesn't matter where it ends up being.

this is less egregious than Little's thing. Little killed a bystander. jerry brown chose to get in the car with someone who was wasted.

Top Bottom