NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Seems like Peterson, Jerry, and the Vikings are making it seem like no big deal... Never know what Goodell is thinking tho. Ready to fine anybody over anything. Jerry should have contacted the Vikings about it just to play it safe.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
More importantly this was in that same article...

The timing of the Jones-Peterson conversation came a month after Jones and the Cowboys passed on Johnny Manziel with the 16th pick of the NFL draft. In his story, Van Natta writes that passing up Manziel for offensive tackle Zack Martin stuck with Jones all summer.

"If we had picked Manziel, he'd guarantee our relevance for 10 years," Jones said in May. "When we were on the clock, I said if we pick the other guy -- any other guy -- it would be a ticket to parity, more 8-8 seasons.

"The only way to break out is to gamble -- take a chance with that first pick, if you wanna dramatically improve your team. That's why I wanted Manziel but I was the only guy who wanted him. I listened to everybody ... And I'm ... not ... happy ... ."

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones wants to be known as football man

oh god

Exactly three months from now, the Cowboys will open the regular season here against the San Francisco 49ers, the start, most likely, of another season stuck in that rut. But for the Cowboys' owner, president and general manager, tonight is a guaranteed winner.

"This is fun, isn't it?" Jones asks Romo, the Cowboys' hard-luck starting quarterback. "They will not kick a last-second field goal and kick our asses tonight. Everybody goes home happy."

Reaction score
oh god

When I ask Jones how he settled on AT&T for the stadium naming rights, he says he fell in love with the name: "It just sounds like America -- and the future." He then confides he considered investing $300 million in Chanel or Cartier, becoming partners with one of the companies and slapping its name on his stadium. Jones loved the idea that his team might have been married to one of those luxury brands. "Can you imagine -- the Chanel Cowboys?" he asks. "Or the Cartier Cowboys? Now that has a nice ring, a lovely ring. Pure class."

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
oh god

When I ask Jones how he settled on AT&T for the stadium naming rights, he says he fell in love with the name: "It just sounds like America -- and the future." He then confides he considered investing $300 million in Chanel or Cartier, becoming partners with one of the companies and slapping its name on his stadium. Jones loved the idea that his team might have been married to one of those luxury brands. "Can you imagine -- the Chanel Cowboys?" he asks. "Or the Cartier Cowboys? Now that has a nice ring, a lovely ring. Pure class."

That shit woulda been so fucking gay.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Jerra said:
Can you imagine -- the Chanel Cowboys?" he asks. "Or the Cartier Cowboys? Now that has a nice ring, a lovely ring. Pure ass."

Fixed

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Stop using bad words. "weighing" means you're calling yourself fat. Stop it.

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11420510/dallas-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones-wants-known-football-man

Here's the link to the whole article... fair warning, it's long.

Check out what he says about Jimmy.

It's become a preseason rite that this question is posed in Dallas: Why hasn't owner Jerry Jones fired general manager Jerry Jones? Every summer, Jones gamely parries the question, always acknowledging the team's past futility but never leaving any doubt that nothing will change.

"We would have thought that, with Romo as our quarterback, with a coach, a young coach, like Jason Garrett, that we should have been in better shape to compete," Jones says at Valley Ranch. "So I'd be highly critical.

"On the other hand, I would have to look at what the GM has been -- what he's been in the past and, I would like to think, capable of what he can do in the future."

When speaking of his role as GM, Jones often refers to himself in the third person, as if doing so might keep his shoddy performance at a safe distance.

Asked to grade his performance as GM, he says, "I'd give a C. If we had won a half a game more a year, we would be in the top five winningest teams in the NFL. ... We've been in a rut. Now, that stops with me. But the best person to get it out of the rut is me."

But during our initial conversation at the Ritz-Carlton several weeks earlier, Jones spoke longingly about Manziel's potential benefits to the Cowboys long term. "If we had picked Manziel, he'd guarantee our relevance for 10 years," Jones says.

America's Team needed Johnny Manziel to be ... relevant?

"When we were on the clock, I said, if we pick the other guy -- any other guy -- it would be a ticket to parity, more 8-8 seasons," Jones says. "The only way to break out is to gamble -- take a chance with that first pick, if you wanna dramatically improve your team. That's why I wanted Manziel, but I was the only guy who wanted him. I listened to everybody ... and I'm ... not ... happy ..."

Jones likens himself to a riverboat gambler whose success depends on a well-honed "tolerance for ambiguity." It's a fancy way of saying that when a big bet goes south or the accumulated risks outweigh the potential rewards, he can still function at a high level.

"The riverboat gambler can be his most charmin', he can be his most clever, the smartest, and not know it's all gonna end on the next card and he's gonna be thrown overboard if it's the wrong card," Jones says. "And a part of havin' a tolerance for ambiguity is looking for the more positive and bein' able to handle the negative because you've got more goin' on."

On the Radio City Music Hall stage, as Martin donned a Cowboys baseball cap and hugged Goodell, Jones seethed back in the draft room. "There's only one thing I wanna say -- I'd have never bought the Cowboys had I made the kinda decision that I just made right now," Jones whispered to Stephen. "You need to drive across the water rather than lay up. And we laid up for this one. ... We just didn't get here makin' this kind of decision."

By choosing to listen to everyone's advice, Jones had not just gone against his gut but, worse, had let slip another chance to test his tolerance for ambiguity. And what fun is that?

Jones' first two Super Bowl trophies were won by teams coached by Johnson. But Jones didn't have much fun, obsessing over Johnson's "backbiting, undermining and whispering" to the media about his lack of football smarts ("My girlfriend knows more about football," Johnson told them). In March 1994, two months after the Cowboys won their second straight Super Bowl trophy, Jones and Johnson parted ways, which stunned and angered fans.

In the end, there just wasn't enough glory for the two men to share.

In my time with Jones this summer, Jimmy Johnson was a constant topic of conversation. That's because back in March, on the 20th anniversary of his departure, Johnson chatted with Tim Cowlishaw, the Dallas Morning News columnist, and stuck a jagged shiv into Jones' ego.

"What anniversary is this one?" Johnson asked, laughing. "They're always having some kind of anniversaries down there. ... I guess because they don't go to Super Bowls anymore."

Onboard his plane, with Gene sitting in a leather chair across from us, Jones spits out the reason Johnson isn't in the Ring of Honor: "Disloyalty ... I couldn't handle the disloyalty. Whether it was right or not, by every measurement you can go, I had paid so many times a higher price to get to be there than he had paid, it was unbelievable. ... By any way you wanna measure it, wear and tear, pain, worry, butt kickin', the criticism -- everything in the book!"

Jones wants to win another Super Bowl for many reasons. But one of the biggest is it would prove to the world he can do it without Johnson.

"It certainly has been more of a negative for me than it was for him," Jones says of Johnson's firing, his voice rising. Gene's eyes narrow -- she knows where this is headed -- and she shakes her head to warn him. Too late. Johnson's firing "caused him to never have won but two Super Bowls!" Jones says, practically shouting. "I don't give a s--- what it is, but it caused one thing for him: He'll never win but two! I've won three -- and I may get to win five more!"

Reaction score
At least there's this...

Two hours into our dinner, our menus remain untouched. When we talk about the Cowboys' chances this fall, Jones expresses guarded optimism -- he has bought into Romo's enthusiasm for the offense, aided by a revamped, though young, offensive line. But he acknowledges that the defense, the third-worst in NFL history last year based on total yards allowed, must radically improve for the Cowboys to have any hope of making a playoff run. Of this prospect, he sounds less certain. Coach Garrett is in the final year of his contract, and Jones says Garrett's future likely will depend on what happens on the field this season. Of course Jones' future, as GM, never depends on what happens on the field in any season. After all, what person, in any profession, could manage to keep a job if he hadn't succeeded in nearly 20 years?

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
Adios, Jason.

It won't matter. The asshole who installed him will install the next head scratcher in his decades long quest to prove he can get it done with out Jimmy. He has as much appreciation for a head coaches value as he does a kickers. He really does think it all rides on the GM.

Top Bottom