C

Cr122

Jerry Jones reminds 'top talent' Cowboys that it's Super Bowl or bust

08:29 PM CDT on Wednesday, July 21, 2010

From Wire Reports

For the Dallas Cowboys , the road home could lead to the next Super Bowl.

Since the end of last season, and even before that, Jerry Jones has constantly reminded his Cowboys that Super Bowl XLV will be played at their own stadium in February.

"Our owner lets us know the game is at Cowboys Stadium and he would love his team to play in it," Pro Bowl linebacker DeMarcus Ware said. "We are doing everything we can get to get there."

But long before the possibility of being the first host team ever in a Super Bowl, or even playing a 2010 regular season game, the defending NFC East champion Cowboys have quite a summer trip.

Training camp begins Saturday at the Alamodome in San Antonio. That begins a five-week stretch in which the Cowboys will travel more than 6,500 miles, practice in three different cities and play preseason games in four stadiums.

"We're America's team, everybody wants to see us," receiver Roy Williams said.

Dallas will be the first full squad to begin camp, but Cleveland rookies report Friday. Rookies for New England and San Diego report Sunday, and every NFL team will be in camp by Aug. 1.

For the third time in four years, 17 of the 32 teams will conduct training camp at home. Just nine years ago, only five of 31 teams stayed home for preseason workouts.

Super Bowl champion New Orleans opens camp at home July 29. But before the Saints won the title last year, the previous three Super Bowl winners — Pittsburgh , Indianapolis and the New York Giants — had all held camp away from home.

For the Cowboys, the climate-controlled Alamodome will be their base for two weeks before going to Canton, Ohio, to play in the Pro Football Hall of Fame Game. A few days at home and a preseason game at Cowboys Stadium follows that.

Then comes two weeks in Oxnard, Calif., a strech that includes a game at San Diego. They break their West Coast camp and head to Houston for a game before finally getting to settle in at their Valley Ranch facility to prepare for the home preseason finale and the start of the regular season.

"I've had some pretty strange years, but not moving like that," said 13-year veteran Keith Brooking, going into his second season with Dallas. "I played in the Tokyo Bowl, 16-hour flight or whatever it was two weeks into training camp and still having four preseason games to play. But never two weeks at camp, then moving."

"Nobody cares where we practice. People care about whether we win," linebacker Bradie James said.

Jones raised the Lombardi Trophy three times in a four-year stretch in the mid 1990s. But the five-time champions have gone 14 seasons without winning a title and didn't even win another playoff game until last January.

The 20-year owner could think of no better way to end the championship drought than by winning a Super Bowl at his $1.2 billion stadium that opened last season.

"They have the potential to get there," said NFL career rushing leader Emmitt Smith, the three-time Super Bowl champion with the Cowboys who will be inducted into the Hall of Fame next month. "Hopefully those guys have taken this offseason and said next year should be our time."

With lofty expectations and their longest training camp in more than a decade ahead of them, it's good for the Cowboys there are few issues and little drama. Just plenty of motivation.

"I really do feel that we've got top talent on the team, but this same talent, the majority of it, saw us fall short last year," Jones said. "And that keeps anybody from getting too caught up in what this looks like. We've got a lot of work to do when we get to training camp."

C

Cr122

Yea i bet your right,he's not 1 to sit around and watch his team go to crap.

I truly believe he thinks we will win it all.

And if he doesn't, he has to make a change and go back to adding a proven SB coach.

I like Wade, but as a DC. He never struck me as a good HC.

x69twisted

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I truly believe he thinks we will win it all.

And if he doesn't, he has to make a change and go back to adding a proven SB coach.

I like Wade, but as a DC. He never struck me as a good HC.

I wanted Bill Parcells to win as Dallas HC ,imagine if we had him now

C

Cr122

I wanted Bill Parcells to win as Dallas HC ,imagine if we had him now

I loved Parcells, and I also believe he would still be here if Jerry would of let him do things the way he wanted.

Signing T.O. didn't help matters at all. And I think Bill still could of won a SB here if he stayed.

Better yet he should be recognized for his efforts if we do win it. Sure Jerry and Wade drafted some good players too, but Bill showed Jerry the ropes and helped us from being 5-11 repeatedly every year.

I don't think Wade could of done that in 2003. This team would be lucky to be at 500 right now. JMO

x69twisted

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I loved Parcells, and I also believe he would still be here if Jerry would of let him do things the way he wanted.

Signing T.O. didn't help matters at all. And I think Bill still could of won a SB here if he stayed.

Better yet he should be recognized for his efforts if we do win it. Sure Jerry and Wade drafted some good players too, but Bill showed Jerry the ropes and helped us from being 5-11 repeatedly every year.

I don't think Wade could of done that in 2003. This team would be lucky to be at 500 right now. JMO

Yes definatly,if we win a SB soon a lil credit goes to Parcells

C

Cr122

Yes definatly,if we win a SB soon a lil credit goes to Parcells

I have to give him more than a little though.

I mean our team was going through a span of 5-11 seasons and Jerry just wouldn't learn and hire a real coach.

Campo was horrible. I almost puked when I saw him on hardknocks.

The only midget these guys feared was Jimmy.

x69twisted

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I have to give him more than a little though.

I mean our team was going through a span of 5-11 seasons and Jerry just wouldn't learn and hire a real coach.

Campo was horrible. I almost puked when I saw him on hardknocks.

The only midget these guys feared was Jimmy.

We were lost with Campo,he was a disaster.Jimmy best ever(just going by SB's in short time)Landry was a legend

C

Cr122

We were lost with Campo,he was a disaster.Jimmy best ever(just going by SB's in short time)Landry was a legend

My two favorites Landry and Jimmy.

Jimmy would of won a few more if he had stuck around.

x69twisted

Practice Squad
Reaction score
My two favorites Landry and Jimmy.

Jimmy would of won a few more if he had stuck around.

Yes they would have completed the 4peat if he had stayed.
The 49ers wouldn't have had a chance i think that dreaded day at Candlestick,when the Boys were goin for the 3peat.that was the worst lost ever as a Cowboy fan.

C

Cr122

Yes they would have completed the 4peat if he had stayed.
The 49ers wouldn't have had a chance i think that dreaded day at Candlestick,when the Boys were goin for the 3peat.that was the worst lost ever as a Cowboy fan.

It was one of the worst by far. Uggggghh.

Top Bottom