Reaction score
Is there anything he can do here? Or does he continue the trend of wasted fourth round selections?

I can't even imagine trading him for any semblence of value. Not even a 7th. What team would do that?

Reaction score
Shouldnt players get more than a yr?

Thats what I'm asking....

I'm not saying cut him right now. I'm asking can he realistically compete here? And if so, at what? LB? DE?

If the team thought he could compete at LB, why bring in Durrant?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If the team thought he could compete at LB, why bring in Durrant?

Cover themselves just in case?

They may try him there and if he doesnt look like it would work, move him to backup DE and play him as a rotational pass rush guy on some downs.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't see where he has a spot in this defense. He's cheap enough that it doesn't hurt to wait and see, though.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't think so. He didn't play last year. They don't know how he'll do once they put him out there.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't think so. He didn't play last year. They don't know how he'll do once they put him out there.

he played a little. Probably roughly the same amount as carter in his first year. Carter struggled a lot against the run in 11 in numerous games.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Different scheme. Different coaches.

He was a 4-3 DE for quite some time in college, eventually that may be his best fit anyway.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
he played a little. Probably roughly the same amount as carter in his first year. Carter struggled a lot against the run in 11 in numerous games.

I didn't know he played. I thought he was injured all year. I stopped keeping track of unfamiliar faces on the defense after it started to get ridiculous.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I didn't know he played. I thought he was injured all year. I stopped keeping track of unfamiliar faces on the defense after it started to get ridiculous.

He played a little. The other issue he had was they moved him around some too after all the injuries at ILB. I think they tried him there some too IIRC

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He played a little. The other issue he had was they moved him around some too after all the injuries at ILB. I think they tried him there some too IIRC

yep. Linebacker was a mess last year, but it is kind of telling that poppinga started over him.

then again he was a rookie so you can never tell.

Reaction score
Wilber is just the right kind of guy, with a great attitude, good motor, and a willingness to learn. How that translates into a player that will win the starting LB position competition against lesser RKGs is beyond me.
The RKG philosophy kind of makes the Dikta Ricky Williams gamble look like a solid bit of logic.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Good kid, flashes some athleticism, but overdrafted.

Right now, him achieving Victor Butler status would be a "win".

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Good kid, flashes some athleticism, but overdrafted.

Pretty sure most had him pegged as a middle round pick. I dont recall seeing many of the predraft info that claimed he was a late rd pick or UDFA type player.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Do you have info to show otherwise? Other than that you "think" he was overdrafted"?

his performace, or lack thereof. We were desperate for linebackers last year and he couldn't get on the field. Same argument for David Arkin on the O Line. Same argument for Robert Brewster being unwanted by the entire NFL. Steven McGee ?

we overdraft players, a lot. How much proof do you need?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
his performace, or lack thereof. We were desperate for linebackers last year and he couldn't get on the field. Same argument for David Arkin on the O Line. Same argument for Robert Brewster being unwanted by the entire NFL. Steven McGee ?

we overdraft players, a lot. How much proof do you need?

looks like someone playing the hindsight game to me, which is always easy to do

Top Bottom