C

Cr122

If David Buehler struggles in preseason, then the Cowboys will look at kicker

08:12 PM CDT on Friday, July 23, 2010

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News
tarcher@dallasnews.com

For some reason people have not been able to understand the Cowboys' stance on taking one kicker to training camp in David Buehler, who has never attempted a field goal in an NFL game.

With a team viewed as a Super Bowl threat, why would they take such a stance? It's easy: because they can right now.

Jerry Jones is aware of some of the angst regarding the team's kicking situation, but here's his explanation:

"I've seen them missed real good by guys that have made kicks in the league before," Jones said. "I'm being cute, but Buehler is capable. Unlike the $2 million kicker [Mike Vanderjagt] I paid that came in and didn't hit anything but squib kicks for field goals, but we still went with him, we're going to go with how it looks and how he's feeling. We're going to have these preseason games to work on it and we don't want to clutter the water. We want to go in that direction and if we have a concern toward the end of the things, then you'd look at it differently."

Translation: they'll look at a veteran kicker later in camp if Buehler struggles.

Top Bottom