C

Cr122

Cowboys rookie Owusu-Ansah healthy, thrilled to be on field

Posted Wednesday, Aug. 04, 2010

By Jan Hubbard jhubbard@star-telegram.com

SAN ANTONIO -- When Akwasi Owusu-Ansah returned kickoffs last year, he did his best to avoid headhunters from Mercyhurst, Clarion, Gannon, Kutztown, Slippery Rock and other NCAA Division II schools.

When the rookie defensive back retuned his first kickoff during practice Wednesday, he was dodging some of the best special teams players on the Dallas Cowboys.

"A lot bigger, stronger and faster," Owusu-Ansah said of the competition. "But it was fun. It was a dream come true.

"I finally feel like a Cowboy. I'm in pads and out here with my teammates, bonding with them on the field. So it was a great time."

Owusu-Ansah was the Cowboys' fourth-round selection in the April NFL Draft, but a shoulder injury prevented him from participating in off-season practices. He had surgery five months ago and was finally cleared.

The Cowboys are intrigued with his skills. He obviously played inferior competition when he was at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, but he was a dominant player. In his college career, he had seven kick returns for touchdowns -- four on kickoffs and three on punts.

On two kickoffs Wednesday, Owusu-Ansaw bolted through the Cowboys' special teams coverage units. The players were not playing full speed and not hitting, but the rookie's speed was evident.

The 6-foot, 208-pound Owusu-Ansah (who goes by Kwasi) can play cornerback, but the Cowboys believe he is better suited for safety. He got in a few reps Wednesday, and Dallas coach Wade Phillips was impressed with Owusu-Ansah's grasp of the defense.

"Kwasi did not make any mental mistakes, which shows that he's been paying attention [in meetings] and is a pretty smart guy," Phillips said.

Phillips said it is unlikely that Owusu-Ansah will play Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals. but he will likely play next week against the Oakland Raiders.

Balancing act

Jerry Jones had no rooting interest in the Texas Rangers' auction because he is friendly with Nolan Ryan and Mark Cuban. Jones had not followed the details of what happened Wednesday, but he was sure there was plenty of tension.

"I bet you could cut it with a knife," Jones said.

Lee returns

Linebacker Sean Lee returned after missing 10 days with a quadriceps injury. Wade Phillips said Lee would not play against the Bengals, and that did not surprise Lee.

"I don't know if they think I have practiced enough to play, but my goal is to play, if not this week then definitely play next week against Oakland," Lee said.

Phillips said that Lee had a good practice.

"He had at least one sack, maybe two," Phillips said. "In fact, he had a sack against our first offense and they had to run the play again."

Brief work for starters

Wade Phillips said the first-team offense and defense will play little on Sunday against the Bengals.

"We'd like to have an 8-to-10-play drive with the first offense, score a touchdown and get off the field," Phillips said, "and maybe a couple of short stints with the defense. Then we've got a lot of guys we need to look at."

Jan Hubbard, 817-390-7760

Top Bottom