C

Cr122

7/29

Jason Williams faster than Carpenter, getting look at nickel linebacker

With rookie linebacker Sean Lee sidelined for a few says with an injury, second year man Jason Williams is getting extra reps at the nickel and dime linebacker position on passing downs. It's the position Bobby Carpenter played last year before being traded to the Rams in the offseason.

Lee and Williams are competing for the position.

“We are looking at him at the dime position on third downs; the position that Bobby Carpenter played," coach Wade Phillips said. "He is probably a little faster than Bobby was so he has some ability in that area. We are working him a lot in that area, but we’re working him in our regular stuff and in the dime. But I think in dime, it’s just amazing how fast he is. I think that’s what is going to show up on the field. He runs the ball every play, he has great habits, and in the open field he can break down real well. I don’t think he is going to miss many tackles. Sometimes guys with a lot of speed don’t break down well, but he has the ability to do that. It will take some work, and he is frustrated and we are frustrated when he doesn’t do it perfectly. But he is getting closer.”

Williams was slow to adjust to the pro game and the Cowboys scheme last year after being drafted in the third round of tiny Western Illinois. He is more comfortable now and it shows.

“He reacts a lot faster this year," Phillips said. "Being in the defense and even in the offseason has helped. Some of the run stuff that he had trouble with last year, he has no problem with now. A couple of the boot passes where the guy comes from the other side, he was not seeing them last year and this year he is covering them just like that. So he will tell you he feels a lot better in that area.”

Clarence E. Hill Jr.

Top Bottom