C

Cr122

Cowboys hot routes: Five views from cornerback Mike Jenkins

Posted Sunday, Jul. 25, 2010
By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

chill@star-telegram.com

1The goal for the secondary is to intercept more passes. "We had 12 last year. This year we want to get 22. It's manageable. We have to communicate better. We are playing with more confidence and doing more ball drills."

2Although Jenkins is considered the team's best cornerback, he gives the nod to Terence Newman, whom he puts in the top five in the league. His top five are Asante Samuel, Darrelle Revis, Champ Bailey, Nnamdi Asomugha and Newman.

3What does he need to do to get the next level? "I have to stay humble and keep battling. I still consider myself the second guy. I went to one Pro Bowl. I've got to get a couple more under my belt before I put myself up there."

4Jenkins said Newman was one of his idols growing up. But he said they have their styles because they are built differently. "He is a quick guy. He loves to play a lot of off coverage. I love to get up in a guy's face. I have longer arms, so I use that to my advantage."

5Jenkins said the Cowboys' confidence has grown so much in him that they allow him to play press coverage whenever he wants, which is a far cry from his rookie year when secondary coach Dave Campo didn't trust him and forced him to play more zone.

"They have given me the leeway to go and play my game."

Early impressions

Rookie receiver Dez Bryant has been the talk of practice after just two days. He makes outstanding catches at every practice. Every move made by the Cowboys' top draft pick is being closely watched.

But there are other players who have made good early impressions, coach Wade Phillips said.

Phillips singled out rookie linebacker Sean Lee, second-year linebackers Brandon Williams and Victor Butler, tight end John Phillips and running backs Felix Jones and Marion Barber.

He had his biggest praise for guard Leonard Davis, whom he said was dominant during the morning practice.

Crayton moves on

After an off-season of discontent, wide receiver Patrick Crayton said his focus is strictly on football. He was put on the trading block after the team drafted Dez Bryant. Crayton then asked for his release and stayed away from voluntary workouts.

Crayton, however, has been the picture of consistency the first two days of camp. He has no interest in talking about the past. Owner Jerry Jones said Crayton is handling his business, but acknowledged a decision at the position is looming.

"He's out here. He's making plays. He's competing," Jones said. "He's doing all the things that he needs to do. And we've got to see what happens."

Injury report

TE Martellus Bennett (ankle) expected back in a few days; DT Josh Brent (broken bone in left hand), should return in a couple of days; LB Stephen Hodge (knee), physically unable to perform list; DT Lorenzo Washington (hamstring), physically unable to perform list; FS Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (shoulder), non-football injury list, should be ready next week.

Top Bottom