Reaction score
By Mac Engel
tengel@star-telegram.com

ARLINGTON — The Dallas Cowboys have their quarterback, but if their defense doesn’t get any better they’re doomed for a repeat.

While they’re at it, the head coach has some accountability in the latest Dallas Cowboys’ playoff failure, and DFW’s most recent sports gag.

The local teams tease us worse than campaigning politicians — the Dallas Stars, Texas Rangers, Dallas Cowboys and FC Dallas were the best regular-season teams in their respective conferences last season, and not a single one advanced to the title round.

And, I’m sorry, but I don’t care when pitchers and catchers report; the Cowboys were supposed to go to their first NFC Championship since the ’95 season.

Alas, the ’16 Cowboys added themselves to the DFW Den of Disappointment with a pathetic first half that cost them in an entertaining 34-31 playoff loss to Aaron Rodgers and a bunch of spares who play with him on the Green Bay Packers.

The one area that was thought to be a problem from the beginning of the season — the Cowboys’ defense —eventually got ’em, and their head coach did not help them out, either.

The Cowboys started the game as if they were waking up from a bye-week vacation to Cabo. Rodgers did whatever he wanted in leading his team to a 21-3 spread in the first half.

It didn’t help that wide receiver Brice Butler was called for a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty in the first quarter because he didn’t participate after entering the huddle ... whatever in God’s name that means.

“I’ve never seen that called before,” coach Jason Garrett said.

Neither has anyone else, and nor should they, because it’s yet another dumb rule created by someone who needs to get a job.

The penalty erased a long completion to Terrance Williams that would have put the ball down to the Packers’ 15-yard line. Instead, the ball was moved back to the 48-yard line, and the drive stalled without any points in a game where they were desperately needed.

“Early on they exposed us,” safety Barry Church said.

The Cowboys were never going to be a great defensive team, and Rodgers exposed that most glaring flaw this offense consistently masked. The Cowboys were an average team on the front seven, and it showed on Sunday, especially in the first half.

“We couldn’t keep pace early as far as the defense is concerned,” Church said.

The deficit changed how the Cowboys called the game; offensive coordinator Scott Linehan should have found a way for running back Ezekial Elliott to touch the ball more than just 10 times in the first half.

Receiver Dez Bryant had a good day — nine receptions for 132 yards and two touchdowns — but Zeke is this team’s most powerful threat with the ball.

It is a credit to the Cowboys they were able to sack Rodgers at all, but all three came from defensive backs on surprise blitzes. It is a credit to the Cowboys defense it forced the Packers to punt three times, and actually intercepted a pass.

This was always a limited team defensively, and Rodgers simply turned that reality into a loss.

But Garrett did his team precisely no favors on the Cowboys’ final drive, with the offense going for the potential game-winning touchdown. After Dak completed an 11-yard pass to the Packers’ 40-yard line, the call was to spike the ball and stop the clock with 49 seconds remaining.

I asked, why?

Garrett’s explanation was to keep the one remaining timeout available for the field goal try in a drive where the intent was to go for the touchdown, which it should have been.

I buy the explanation, but I don’t love the call for that spot. And I hate it because the other quarterback is Aaron Rodgers.

The Cowboys tied the game because kicker Dan Bailey is such a baaaaaaad man, but the 35 seconds remaining for Rodgers was too much.

And as far as the last pass he completed — the 36-yarder to Jared Cook where he managed to catch the ball inbounds by an inconceivable fraction of a millimeter to set up the game-winning field goal — is simply a great play. No defense can stop that.

The Cowboys might have been a better team and were the favorites before Sunday’s game for a reason, but Rodgers is indeed just too great right now.

At this point of an NFL season, the differences between the two teams is infinitesimal, and these games come down to a handful of plays, and mistakes.

When the Cowboys review their season, they will see almost nothing but positives, primarily because they found their quarterback.

When they review this game, they will only see the plays they did not make and mistakes they did.

They will see a team that was fast asleep to start, and a defense that must improve or these types of results will be the norm.

Read more here: Garrett and Cowboys fight but were own worst enemies | The Star-Telegram

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
good stuff from the writer. he was throttling garrett but he really let up on the gas by the end of the article.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The playoffs expose and amplify ALL of a team's flaws. And that is exactly what we saw yesterday - ALL of our flaws exposed including the poor run defense, the poor pass defense, and the horrid, idiot head coach.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
That penalty on Butler was Bush league and that PI that set Green Bay up for that go ahead field goal before we tied it up was also bullshit. Even given all that, we stil could have sent that game into over time until Garrett called a ball spike and then two pass plays that only burn 14 seconds off the clock before we kicked that field goal to tie it up. Run the ball there and run the clock to 6 secs and call that time out instead of that last pass we go to OT with a decent shot of holding them to 3. But no.... sigh

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This offseason... gather up his blue loose leaf notebook to meet with other successful coaches and scribble down everything. Photo-ops with them here and there.

Reaction score
That penalty on Butler was Bush league and that PI that set Green Bay up for that go ahead field goal before we tied it up was also bullshit. Even given all that, we stil could have sent that game into over time until Garrett called a ball spike and then two pass plays that only burn 14 seconds off the clock before we kicked that field goal to tie it up. Run the ball there and run the clock to 6 secs and call that time out instead of that last pass we go to OT with a decent shot of holding them to 3. But no.... sigh

Only in jerryland can a coach directly responsible for a loss still keep his job. Ginger is not a playoff coach. Period.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Only in jerryland can a coach directly responsible for a loss still keep his job. Ginger is not a playoff coach. Period.

And to think all the chatter (not on here) was about how the lack of playoff experience by the rookies would be the detriment. But it's not just in jerryland. It's sickening as to how no one in the media is calling Garrett out.

Title of the thread needs to be changed. Garrett is the Cowboys' worst enemy.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jerry apparently throwing it out there today that he didn't agree with spiking the ball either.

I cant ever recall the front office of a team ever questioning so many of its coaches decisions year over year. Maybe once or something, but it seems like its been a once or twice a year thing where Jerry or Stevie calls into question some part of Garrett's in game decision making (and I think every time they've been right, and Garrett has been wrong)

Just makes you wonder how he continues to stay employed here. They have to know he is a liability on game days.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It's sickening as to how no one in the media is calling Garrett out.
The Ticket had been teasing one of the hosts bashing Garrett in a segment this morning. Turned out he spent at least 90 seconds apologizing for what he was about to say, and then gave the mildest criticism ever, saying Garrett was just okay and wasn't in the class of a Landry or Jimmy.

Well no shit.

Pathetic. I've always wondered what makes Garrett so special. People have no problem bashing other coaches mercilessly. They made a sport out of making fun of Wade Phillips. But they feel they have to feel guilty for suggesting an empty suit like Garrett might not really be the Next Landry.

Oh well, that's a big reason I don't care about this team nearly the way I used to.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
saying Garrett was just okay and wasn't in the class of a Landry or Jimmy.

If they (Cowboys and all the media there) truly know now that he is "just ok" (and I don't see how they couldn't possibly all know that by now, its obvious) then why stick with him? Other than a couple rare instances, just being "ok" at HC doesn't equate to winning or even competing for championships year over year.

This is what separates the Landry's, Noll's, Belichick's, Jimmy's, Parcells, Gibbs, Shula and others from the rest.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Jerry apparently throwing it out there today that he didn't agree with spiking the ball either.

I cant ever recall the front office of a team ever questioning so many of its coaches decisions year over year. Maybe once or something, but it seems like its been a once or twice a year thing where Jerry or Stevie calls into question some part of Garrett's in game decision making (and I think every time they've been right, and Garrett has been wrong)

Just makes you wonder how he continues to stay employed here. They have to know he is a liability on game days.

The roster is going to get more expensive. Can they continue with Garret and with nothing to show for it? I imagine he cannot be thrilled with Zeke being on the sidelines while in the red zone. Jerry had Emmitt Smith. Could you imagine Johnson keeping Smith on the sidelines while in the red zone ---which was also known as the 'Emmitt Zone'? I'd love to be in the room when they ask him why. You just do not keep the best RB in the league that you used the #4 overall pick, and then have him on the sidelines in that situation, and especially IN THE PLAYOFFS. Hindsight is 20/20, but does anyone think it wouldn't have made a difference if Zeke was in?

I want them to continue to build the roster. I want them to continue to win and get the #1 seed. But please forgive me for this: I hope they continue to go one and done. It's one thing to have three consecutive 8-8 season and miss the playoffs all three times in a final game of "win-you're in", but to get the #1 seed and go one and done. That's worse.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I want them to continue to build the roster. I want them to continue to win and get the #1 seed. But please forgive me for this: I hope they continue to go one and done. It's one thing to have three consecutive 8-8 season and miss the playoffs all three times in a final game of "win-you're in", but to get the #1 seed and go one and done. That's worse.

I think if we don't make the Championship game next year and they've been relatively healthy without just some catastrophic run of injuries to guys we have to have, Garrett will be gone.

I think CMD nailed it with his Dungy/Tampa reference in regards to our situation with Garrett. This team's talent may be getting to a point that in the regular season, they can win 10-11-12 games a year now. But when you need that HC to be an edge for you in really big games or postseason, he's exposed and the team falls short. Tampa needed Jon Gruden to get them over the hump. We almost assuredly will need someone else to get us over that hump as well.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Its hard to imagine Jerry canning Red after sticking with him this long. Its obvious it needs to be done but can Jerry bring himself to do it?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think if we don't make the Championship game next year and they've been relatively healthy without just some catastrophic run of injuries to guys we have to have, Garrett will be gone.

From your fingertips/lips to God's eyes/ears.

But in honestly... don't see it playing out like that. They'll let him finish out his contract, and just will not re-sign him AT BEST.

The best scenario for Garrett would be if he stinks it up this year, Cowboys miss the playoffs... the following year they make the playoffs where they can win in the WC round but lose the divisional round, or get the #1 seed and go one and done again... he'll get another contract.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I think CMD nailed it with his Dungy/Tampa reference in regards to our situation with Garrett. This team's talent may be getting to a point that in the regular season, they can win 10-11-12 games a year now. But when you need that HC to be an edge for you in really big games or postseason, he's exposed and the team falls short. Tampa needed Jon Gruden to get them over the hump. We almost assuredly will need someone else to get us over that hump as well.

Yeah, but I do not envision Garrett going to another team and helping them win a Super Bowl like Dungy. But I get your point.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If they (Cowboys and all the media there) truly know now that he is "just ok" (and I don't see how they couldn't possibly all know that by now, its obvious) then why stick with him? Other than a couple rare instances, just being "ok" at HC doesn't equate to winning or even competing for championships year over year.
It's really weird. I think it's a combination of 1) they all loved and backed him before he got the job, and they refuse to be admit that they could be wrong, and 2) he's been here so long we've forgotten what it was like before him. He's been here ten freaking years now. He's a fixture that everyone knows won't change, like Jerry himself, so people just accept him as a given.

Fitting since that's the only reason he got the job and is still here. He's practically a Jones family member.

As far as Jerry himself, I don't think Jerry even believes he's a great coach. But he's someone Jerry is comfortable with, and Jerry doesn't want to go back to the Jimmy or Parcells days. Jerry believes players make the difference anyway and he simply doesn't respect the position of head coach.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Going to have to take Stephen to give him the push.

Unless Jerry decides he's willing to sell Red out to get another trophy. Jerry knows his time is running out and this team is good enough to get over the hump. But Stephen is probably needed for it to happen.

Top Bottom