C

Cr122

Dez Bryant impresses in first action as kick returner: 'Anything I can do to help, I'll do'

01:06 AM CDT on Thursday, July 29, 2010
By GERRY FRALEY / The Dallas Morning News
gfraley@dallasnews.com
SAN ANTONIO – Rookie wide receiver Dez Bryant had another eventful day at the Cowboys' training camp on Wednesday.

Bryant appeared at kickoff returner as the Cowboys trotted out the unit for the first time during the afternoon practice at the Alamodome. Special teams coach Joe DeCamillis was immediately taken with the possibilities.

"He's special with the ball in his hands, and we're going to try to help him as much as we can," DeCamillis said. "He's got a chance to be exceptional."

Bryant returned kickoffs and punts at Oklahoma State. He was more effective on punts, averaging 19.6 yards with three touchdowns on 22 tries. He averaged 23.8 yards with no touchdowns on six kickoff returns.

Despite the limited exposure to the role, Bryant expressed eagerness to return kickoffs.

"I did it in college and liked it," Bryant said. "Anything I can do to help, I'll do."

The Cowboys have a clear need at the position. They had five players return a kickoff last season, and their combined average of 22 yards was 20th in the league.

Bryant has also returned punts during special teams drills. Veteran receiver Patrick Crayton handled the duty last season and ranked third in the league with an average of 12.1 yards per return.

cowboys2194

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Man i love dez, what ever it takes to get the ball into his hands is fine by me lol

Reaction score
If Dez Bryant played poker, his hand would be the only hand that could beat a Royal Flush.

Top Bottom