C

Cr122

Expect Dez Bryant to sign soon; six receivers will make Cowboys

10:08 PM CDT on Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Dallas Morning News Cowboys writer Todd Archer answered your questions this week about Cowboys training camp. Some highlights of the full chat:

Join Todd and all of our Cowboys writers as we chat live, answer your questions and dish the behind the scenes tidbits during every Cowboys training camp practice. Chats begin this weekend: Saturday at 2:15 p.m.; Sunday at 9 a.m. and 3:15 p.m. Central.

On Dez Bryant holding out for a long time: No, he won't be a Michael Crabtree holdout. He might not have a deal in place for the first practice on Saturday? No, I don't think so. If you look at the Cowboys' dealings with first rounders represented by Eugene Parker lately - Anthony Spencer, Felix Jones , Mike Jenkins - they missed a couple of days before coming to terms. And I think Parker wants to avoid the mess that became the Crabtree talks last year.

Kevin Ogletree: Will he make the cut? He'll make the cut unless he just implodes in camp. I don't see that happening. He had a decent off-season. Nothing great, but solid. There will be a lot more attention on him this year, so it will be interesting to see how he handles the expectations. Another bonus for him is that Jerry Jones is a fan, too.

On his wide receiver predictions: I think they'll keep six. I've said that the entire off-season and I'm sticking with it. So that's Miles Austin , Roy Williams, Dez Bryant, Patrick Crayton, Kevin Ogletree and Sam Hurd. You keep the best 53. These guys are among the best 53

x69twisted

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I agree that they should keep 6 and let them fight it out,Williams better look good to make starting position again

C

Cr122

I agree that they should keep 6 and let them fight it out,Williams better look good to make starting position again

Yup, we will keep six, and Williams may have his last year here if he doesn't come around.

Reaction score
I don't see how we keep 6. That really seems like an unlikely luxury considering the talent we have at other skill positions.

You don't need 6 receivers when you're so deep at TE and RB.

I think Crayton gets the boot in the end.

sbk92

Reaction score
Hurd needs to go. There's no upside to him.

Keep 5 and another on the practice squad. Use that extra roster spot at QB or TE.

I'd rather keep Nichols or Sicko over Hurd.

sbk92

Reaction score
And I wouldn't release Crayton. Let him whine on the bench for a year. He's good depth in a season where we can contend.

Reaction score
Hurd needs to go. There's no upside to him.

Keep 5 and another on the practice squad. Use that extra roster spot at QB or TE.

I'd rather keep Nichols or Sicko over Hurd.

exactly I see Hurd being cut over Crayton

Reaction score
Hurd's contributions on special teams make him more valuable than Crayton, IMO.

If Crayton isn't in the top 3, then he has no real role. He'd be holding a roster spot waiting for an injury.

C

Cr122

Well if Crayton does make it he probably won't be returning punts.

I think we go in a different direction there this year. He may do it from time to time.

Reaction score
Well if Crayton does make it he probably won't be returning punts.

I think we go in a different direction there this year. He may do it from time to time.

Last year notwithstanding, Crayton has been Mr. Fair Catch as a returner.

I've softened on my disdain for Crayton. I tire quickly of his mouth. But he does have a chemistry with Romo.

I've thought recently that it might not shock me too much if Crayton gets the nod over Roy if their performances are similar, and Dez is as good as advertised.

Now . . . I think Dez IS as good as advertised, and with all due respect to Miles, I think Dez will be our best receiver by years end.

But part of me keeps holding out hope that Roy will show flashes of that blue chip talent that he once had.

Crayton, IMO, is a JAG. It's his chemistry with Romo that seperates him.

C

Cr122

Last year notwithstanding, Crayton has been Mr. Fair Catch as a returner.

I've softened on my disdain for Crayton. I tire quickly of his mouth. But he does have a chemistry with Romo.

I've thought recently that it might not shock me too much if Crayton gets the nod over Roy if their performances are similar, and Dez is as good as advertised.

Now . . . I think Dez IS as good as advertised, and with all due respect to Miles, I think Dez will be our best receiver by years end.

But part of me keeps holding out hope that Roy will show flashes of that blue chip talent that he once had.

Crayton, IMO, is a JAG. It's his chemistry with Romo that seperates him.

You make a good point about Crayton, if Roy doesn't come around he very well could take his spot.

I also like Ogletree he has good speed and showed flashes of being a good receiver last year.

Reaction score
You make a good point about Crayton, if Roy doesn't come around he very well could take his spot.

I also like Ogletree he has good speed and showed flashes of being a good receiver last year.

Ogletree is already more talented a receiver and has more upside than Crayton. But again, he lacks that chemistry.

I have high hopes for him. I've read/heard that he has motivation issues. I've also seen where he's been hanging out with Miles and the Kardashian chick surrounded by papparazzi. It's a stretch, but I hope he doesn't feel like he's already made it and gets complacent.

C

Cr122

Ogletree is already more talented a receiver and has more upside than Crayton. But again, he lacks that chemistry.

I have high hopes for him. I've read/heard that he has motivation issues. I've also seen where he's been hanging out with Miles and the Kardashian chick surrounded by papparazzi. It's a stretch, but I hope he doesn't feel like he's already made it and gets complacent.

Ogletree still needs more chemistry with Romo yes, but he'll show more of his skill this year. The guy has good speed.

Top Bottom