Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
We don't need any donations.

I appreciate the recent PM messages asking me if donations are needed to help keep the DCU on the air, but with it only costing 10 bucks a month for the hosting and another 10 bucks annually for the domain name service, it's quite affordable for me alone to keep the site on line. It's just 130 bucks a year. It's cheap entertainment for me and I am happy to provide this little online clubhouse as it were, for the folks.

But again I do appreciate the gestures. That is if I'm not the butt of some inside joke with this. But really, thank you either way.

I've never understood the need for message boards to solicit donations. Nearly 20 years I have been doing this and I have never asked for or received a dime from any user, for doing it. And never will. It's not a big expense to keep one of these sites up if you know what you're doing. But there are some out there who do know what they are doing and bilk their users anyway, for every dime they can get. Then there's the ones who are simply stupid, and pay wayyyyyy too much for hosting and need to ask for money from the membership to keep the site up. Not here, not ever. No adverts, no solicitations, and no donations asked for or accepted, ever. Period. That's the way I've always operated and if the day comes where I cannot do that, I will take my sites down and be done with it.

Carry on.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not a computer guy but what happens if you want to change or make any improvements to the site? The one thing I would say is a notification feature if someone responds to your post or quotes it would be pretty good and engaging. That's really the only real benefit I see from one site to this one. The downside is that we'd be spammed with dbairs bullshit........

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'm not a computer guy but what happens if you want to change or make any improvements to the site? The one thing I would say is a notification feature if someone responds to your post or quotes it would be pretty good and engaging. That's really the only real benefit I see from one site to this one. The downside is that we'd be spammed with dbairs bullshit........
I have that feature here, but it is turned off because most peeps find it very annoying. Unfortunately it doesn't come with the ability for it to be turned on/off on a individual basis or it would be really good to have.
what happens if you want to change or make any improvements to the site?
If I can code it I will, if not I would look to see if someone's already done it, and if not and IF it were a really really sharp thing to have, I would try to get one of my many coder friends to code it.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Basically, Doomsday just said....

825c5941e5f77cb92b72d52e09aafe37.jpg

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Nah, I'm not. I basically said that 130 bucks a year is cheap entertainment. 10.83 a month for a hobby is for us po' folk.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dooms, your efforts and investment in the site are appreciated.

I still love the neighborhood bar type feel to this place.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I still love the neighborhood bar type feel to this place.
Yeah and I'm the loudmouth drunk in the bar, most of the time.

This place is what you all make it. And so far I've enjoyed it. Mostly.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Dooms, you can do whatever the fuck you want with your board, but don't come over to mine sending condescending PMs, you motherfucker. I want that clear right fucking now. This is your only warning.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I wonder how much more expensive it is to run DCC as opposed to DCU.

Anyway, people are inexplicably mean to me over there, so ..

government-sues-monopoly-it-created-dude-where-s-my-freedom-ci9lRS-clipart.png

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dooms, you can do whatever the fuck you want with your board, but don't come over to mine sending condescending PMs, you motherfucker. I want that clear right fucking now. This is your only warning.

I never sent any condescending PMs, asswipe. Not even sure if you're serious here.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I wonder how much more expensive it is to run DCC as opposed to DCU.
It shouldn't cost a single dime more. If it does someone's overpaying and not getting anything more for his money.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
It shouldn't cost a single dime more. If it does someone's overpaying and not getting anything more for his money.

We were with a cheap host and lost everything... twice. We decided to pay more so that would never happen again. So, again, mind you own fucking business and don't send PMs to my staff talking about shit you know nothing about.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
We were with a cheap host and lost everything... twice. We decided to pay more so that would never happen again. So, again, mind you own fucking business and don't send PMs to my staff talking about shit you know nothing about.
You read PMs there at DCC? What I sent was merely a question, trying to be helpful and it wasn't sent to you. And it wasn't at all condescending.

And by the way you can "lose everything" no matter the host or the expense. That's why you take daily backups no matter the host. If you don't take backups you do stand the chance of losing everything.

The hosting used here isn't the cheapest, by a long way. But it's very reliable.

Now.... Had I asked my question publicly I could see why you might get all lathered up. That might spook some donors. I didn't do that but here you are, not affording the same courtesy. A simple answer to my PM could have cleared that all up.

I was trying to be helpful, as I have always been to DCC.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
You read PMs there at DCC? What I sent was merely a question, trying to be helpful and it wasn't sent to you. And it wasn't at all condescending.

And by the way you can "lose everything" no matter the host or the expense. That's why you take daily backups no matter the host. If you don't take backups you do stand the chance of losing everything.

The hosting used here isn't the cheapest, by a long way. But it's very reliable.

Now.... Had I asked my question publicly I could see why you might get all lathered up. That might spook some donors. I didn't do that but here you are, not affording the same courtesy. A simple answer to my PM could have cleared that all up.

I was trying to be helpful, as I have always been to DCC.

Y'all paying way too much for hosting or what?

Yes, a question, and yes condescending as hell.

Mind your own.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It was not sent to you. If the recipient thought it was condescending why didn't he reply with such? You posting a small snippet of it out of context to make it look like what you accuse? Typical dick sucker move.

You're here throwing a fit about a PM that wasn't even yours?

Iamtdg

Reaction score
It was not sent to you. If the recipient thought it was condescending why didn't he reply with such? You posting a small snippet of it out of context to make it look like what you accuse? Typical dick sucker move.

You're here throwing a fit about a PM that wasn't even yours?

It was sent to a member of my staff. Like I said, mind your own.

That's the last reply you will get from me about it.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Y'all paying way too much for hosting or what?

Mind your own.

So you spend years posting here with little to no filters and this is what you get bent about? Brother, you need a blow job and a beer.....

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It was sent to a member of my staff.
Whom I always thought was the actual owner of the site. And whom I have swapped messages with off and on for two years, with no issues.

Now at least I know what generated the questions about whether DCU needed any donations or not - the two boards share a good number of members, all reading this. Another reason why I use PMs for any "tech" or board operating discussions, and not public posting.

It would disturb me somewhat if I found out some board admin was reading private messages....

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
So you spend years posting here with little to no filters and this is what you get bent about?
And, using the PM system here to recruit - to poach - new people who come here, to the DCC. And thinks people wouldn't report that.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
And, for the record, I don't read private messages that aren't mine. It was shared with me.

Top Bottom