C

Cr122

10:32 PM CDT on Tuesday, July 27, 2010
SportsDayDFW.com

Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant garnered both praise and criticism for refusing to participate in rookie hazing during training camp a few days ago. Players, coaches and sports analysts are all weighing in on the matter and though Dez has since apologized, some are wondering if this small act of rebellion isn’t a prelude to the next T.O.

Here is what some coaches and sports analysts have been saying about Dez’s actions:

In an article by USA Today , the head coach of the Baltimore Ravens , John Harbaugh, explains that he supports certain aspects of rookie hazing that help build team chemistry:

"We try to be very respectful of all the guys, and that includes rookies. But I also think there's a certain protocol for the young guys to have an opportunity to show some humility and some respect for the veterans and what they've done in this league.

"If that means stepping back in line at dinner, stepping back in the taping line, taking care of pads coming off the field, that stuff is being deferential to a veteran. We encourage that, and our guys have always been good about that."

Sports Illustrated’s Peter King thinks the Cowboys should be pleased that Bryant cares more about winning than trying to please older teammates:

“If I’m [Cowboys owner] Jerry Jones, I’m thrilled because I have a guy who basically says look, I’m here to win this job, I’m here to win games, I’m not here to play this sophomoric crap.”

Tim Keown, from ESPN.com , neither agrees nor disagrees with Bryant but is skeptical that Bryant, as a veteran player, would not do the exact same thing that Roy Williams had asked of him:

“All along, you seemed to be exactly the kind of guy who would drop your stuff on the practice field and nod your head at next year's Dez Bryant, expecting him to honor your seniority and superiority by carrying your stuff into the locker room and placing it neatly next to your locker.

“Now that we know differently, we'll be watching as you spend the rest of your career standing up for the rights of others.“

Yahoo! Sports Les Carpenter fully applauds Bryant’s actions and writes that the tradition of rookie hazing no longer applies in today’s sporting world.

“Maybe in the days long ago when players went by names like “Bronco” and played together on the same team for years, worked second jobs in the winter and spring, and then drank as one in the local watering holes, hazing had its place. But back then the idea of team was an eternal one. The same group lasted for several seasons – banging heads in the afternoon, then clinking mugs in the evening. There was no free agency. Like it or not, they were together for years and it was essential to build that unity.

“But today’s players are independent contractors, subject to the whims of the salary cap and a coach’s need at the moment. Players whip in and out of locker rooms so fast many of them barely get to know the man on the next stool before his jersey is gone and a new teammate is pulling cleats from a bag.”

And finally, the Dallas Morning News’ Jean-Jacques Taylor admits that while he believes rookie hazing is stupid, Dez would have been better off just carrying the pads and avoiding the drama.

“Maybe, I'm the crazy one. I think it's stupid. It could be the reason I didn't join a frat in college. I've just never been into that. To me, it’s not about being humbled or having humility. Dez is out there trying to do his thing and live out his dream. That said, it's probably easier to just carry the pads - as he said today - because then he wouldn’t be having to deal with all of this drama. Sometimes, the road of least resistance is the best.”

Top Bottom