C

Cr122

SAN ANTONIO -- Receiver Dez Bryant has done everything right on the field during the first two days of Dallas Cowboys training camp, but he refuses to participate in an NFL rite of passage. According to the rookie first-round pick, Roy Williams and the other veteran receivers can carry their own shoulder pads after practice. Williams gave his pads to Bryant after Sunday's morning practice, but Bryant declined to carry them. Williams threatened to go to "step two" when talking to reporters.
More on the Cowboys

Calvin Watkins and Tim MacMahon have the Cowboys blanketed for ESPNDallas.com. Check in with their constantly updated coverage. Blog

"I'm not doing it," Bryant said. "I feel like I was drafted to play football, not carry another player's pads." "If I was a free agent, it would still be the same thing. I just feel like I'm here to play football. I'm here to try to help win a championship, not carry someone's pads. I'm saying that out of no disrespect to [anyone]." It's a common duty for rookies, who typically get some sort of hazing. Bill Parcells used to make first-round picks bring him water during breaks in practice. The Cowboys' rookie offensive linemen are given awful haircuts by the veterans at some point during each training camp. "Everybody has to go through it," Williams said. "I had to go through it. No matter if you're a No. 1 pick or the 7,000th pick, you've still got to do something when you're a rookie. "I carried pads. I paid for dinners. I paid for lunches. I did everything I was supposed to do, because I didn't want to be that guy." What would "step two" be? "We'll find out. Definitely going to find out," Williams said. "I don't know. I've seen guys take people's credit cards and go fill up their cards and wife's cards and everything. There's a lot of dirt that goes on in that locker room." Bryant, a Lufkin, Texas, native who went to Oklahoma State, has become an immediate fan favorite. He made several spectacular catches during each practice in the Alamodome -- where the crowd roars even when he makes routine plays -- and runs a lap around the field high-fiving fans before going into the locker room. Williams, an Odessa, Texas, native and University of Texas product, is a frequent target of fan criticism due to his poor production since being traded from the Detroit Lions during the 2008 season. He was booed during Sunday morning's practice when he dropped a pass, although Pro Bowler Miles Austin didn't get similar treatment when he had a drop in the afternoon session. "I bought a Ford F-250 2011. Everybody loves a new car but I also have a 2004 Navigator that's still running," Williams said about the perception that Bryant will soon be the starter. "So that's the way I feel." There has been no previous friction between Williams and Bryant, whose arrival puts Williams' status as a starter in jeopardy. Williams has consistently praised Bryant publicly and made it clear that the rookie could come to him with any questions that he had. Williams believes it's a veteran's duty to serve as a mentor to rookies. And he believes it's a rookie's duty to carry the veterans' shoulder pads to the locker room after practice. "I don't believe in that at all," Bryant said. "We have a goal here. It's not about playing games. It's all about just trying to do the right thing and achieve our goal."

sbk92

Reaction score
He's too sensitive. You saw it when he whined about Miami asking about his Mother. Now this.

He's looking like a high maintenance player. But that's okay since the talent is immense.

C

Cr122

He's too sensitive. You saw it when he whined about Miami asking about his Mother. Now this.

He's looking like a high maintenance player. But that's okay since the talent is immense.

Yeah, he's sensitive young and cocky.

I personally don't have a problem with him not carrying Roy's pads.

I would of told Roy, "you beat me out then I'll carry your pads."

sbk92

Reaction score
Jason Witten: Dez Bryant's breach of protocol a matter to address
Posted at 5:32 PM on Mon., Jul. 26, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Gerry Fraley / Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

Dallas Cowboys veteran tight end Jason Witten had a short and pointed observation on rookie receiver Dez Bryant's breach of long-standing protocol.

On Sunday, Bryant refused the traditional rookie duty of carrying a veteran's pads after practice. In this instance, Bryant spurned fellow receiver Roy Williams. Witten, who toted Jason Campbell's pads as a rookie, did not dismiss the issue.

"We'll take care of that in house, that's for sure," Witten said after the afternoon practice in the Alamodome. "It'll be taken care of. We addressed it this morning, and that's all I've got to say about it. It's been taken care of, rest assured."

sbk92

Reaction score
The only guy in the league I've heard defend Bryant in this is Wade Phillips.

The problem with that is Wade is probably the biggest pussy on the planet.

If I'm the coach, Dez carries Roy's pads the entire year. Or he doesn't play.

There's a pecking order, hollywood. Know your role and shut your mouth.

And say hi to your Mom for me.

C

Cr122

The only guy in the league I've heard defend Bryant in this is Wade Phillips.

The problem with that is Wade is probably the biggest pussy on the planet.

If I'm the coach, Dez carries Roy's pads the entire year. Or he doesn't play.

There's a pecking order, hollywood. Know your role and shut your mouth.

And say hi to your Mom for me.

For some reason it doesn't bother me, yeah when Parcells was here it was fun to have him mess with the rookies.

Like you said though Wade is too pussy faced to do anything about it. And it shows just how much control he has over his players.

C

Cr122

Agreed.

Carry the pads. It's a right of passage.

That said . . . I still want to have Dez Bryants babies.

Yeah, It's the right of passage but I am getting a kick out of it. Dez doesn't want to be Roy's bitch I guess.

Top Bottom