ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Other than Gregory and McClain, I mean.

Cowboys don't need to risk draft picks on Robert Nkemdiche, Noah Spence
8:23 PM ET

Jean-Jacques Taylor
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- As Tony Romo nears the end of his career, this is not the time for the Dallas Cowboys to draft players with off-the-field issues.

The Cowboys need players they can trust to help Romo amend his legacy. Experience says players with drug issues can't be trusted.

Some will succeed the way Tyrann Mathieu of the Arizona Cardinals has overcome his issues; others such as Josh Gordon of the Cleveland Browns will fail.

So it doesn't matter how enticing first-round talents Robert Nkemdiche or Noah Spence appear -- the Cowboys should pass on each of them even if they drop into the second round.

The risk/reward isn’t worth it because the Cowboys have reached their limit on key defensive players they can't trust.

Defensive end Randy Gregory, a top-10 talent who slipped into the second round last year because of his proclivity for smoking marijuana, finds himself one failed test away from a year suspension.

After failing a drug test at the NFL scouting combine last year, he was placed in the league's substance-abuse program upon being drafted. He has been suspended for the first four games of this season, an indication he flunked at least three other tests since his combine screwup.

Drafted to be a dynamic pass-rusher, his disappointing season ended with no sacks. Now, his NFL future is in doubt.

Middle linebacker Rolando McClain, who was suspended for the first four games of last season for violating the league's substance abuse program, is also one failed test away from a one-year suspension.

McClain starts and Gregory should be a key contributor, but both are one moment of weakness or foolish decision away from seriously hurting the team for an extended period. And, according to a team source, another defensive starter is one failed test away from a four-game suspension.

Any guesses who? Scandrick?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Sean Lee is taking a dangerous amount of calcium supplements.

Reaction score
Forgot about that with Scandrick.

Other than that, we're chalk full of RKG's who love football and have great character so I actually find this report to be unlikely. My only guess would be they're taking adderall without a 'script so they can all just watch an endless amount of film.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Almost assuredly Scandrick and it really isn't "news" Everyone knew he had already been suspended once, and that ruling was either reduced or erased depending on what story you read.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Other than that, we're chalk full of RKG's who love football and have great character so I actually find this report to be unlikely. My only guess would be they're taking adderall without a 'script so they can all just watch an endless amount of film.
:lol

Top Bottom