Reaction score
Lee, Williams Split First-Team Reps

Posted by jellis at 7/25/2010 6:22 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

With Keith Brooking (knee) sitting out Sunday's morning practice for precautionary reasons, the Cowboys split first-team reps between second-round pick Sean Lee and 2009 third-rounder Jason Williams.

The two are competing for the subpackage linebacker job formerly held by Bobby Carpenter, but also got a chance to line up next to Bradie James during a practice centered on the running game. The workout included a nine-on-nine drill, which trains the offense and defense on in-the-box running plays.

It's likely that whoever wins the nickel job will also be the first backup to both Brooking and James, who wasn't willing to call the experience "looking into the future," even though one of the youngsters is likely to replace Brooking when the time comes.

"You can't get into all of that," James said. "Brook's just not in. I don't look into that, I just try to make sure to get ready and string him along. The thing about Brook, I know where he's going to be. The thing about Sean Lee, I have no idea where he's going to be and he doesn't either.

"He's getting there and hopefully he'll be able to get acclimated to the way we play, and that's what it's about."

Reaction score
I already know Lee will turn out to be a steady player in the Cowboys defense for near 10 years.

But I'm curious to know what others think about Jason Williams. What kind of expectations do you guys have for the kid?

Top Bottom