cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm as amazed and excited as anyone that this team is 9-1. Simply shocked. With the news of Rolando McClain getting suspended yet again, it made me realize how this team is succeeding without using all of its resources. Look at the players, and more importantly, the players' salaries of players who have not contributed a single snap to this team in this 9-1 season:

Player - 2016 Salary cap hit
Tony Romo - $20,835,000
Darren McFadden - $2,150,000
James Hanna - $1,750,000
Randy Gregory - $723,877
Charles Tapper - $508,117
Rolando McClain - $2,639,706
Jaylon Smith - $1,180,904

Obviously the majority of that is Romo, but that is $29,787,604 in cap room.

This team will get to enjoy 3 more years of a very reasonable contract of Dak Prescott. I hope they use this time to really look at where they are spending their money and stop taking chances on character or injury guys. If they can add 3 or 4 guys to the defense next year, I think they can go on a serious run. The offense is set, you might need to find a guy to replace Terrance Williams/Brice Butler at that #2 WR position.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
No question its set up to stockpile defensive talent next yr through the draft and free agency.

I don't think they will be able to completely ignore the offense though. Leary is a free agent and will almost assuredly be gone. Chaz Green I think showed he has ability, but just like in college he cant stay healthy. Even if you could squeeze 1 more yr out of Free I think covering themselves at T at some point should be considered. Witten is 1 yr older and Escobar is likely gone as a free agent. Hanna's playing career might be over. Two of the top four WR's are free agents that may leave.

If they could swindle a high pick or two for Romo that'd help, and obviously if Jaylon Smith makes it back healthy he's a huge addition.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
This team will get to enjoy 3 more years of a very reasonable contract of Dak Prescott. I hope they use this time to really look at where they are spending their money and stop taking chances on character or injury guys. If they can add 3 or 4 guys to the defense next year, I think they can go on a serious run. The offense is set, you might need to find a guy to replace Terrance Williams/Brice Butler at that #2 WR position.

I never liked the Romo contract but what choice did the have at the time. As far as using the money saved by Dak's rookie contract, best use is to see that O Line stays together as long as possible. Martin has to stay.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Martin is not going anywhere. No need to worry about that. They love him, he loves us. We will exercise 5th year option, and then if necessary, franchise him for two more years.

Not a concern at all.

The conversation is not Martin OR defensive help.

Reaction score
Yeah, I could swear that the football gods have finally exacted whatever karmic penalties they wanted from Dallas, and are now smiling upon us. This year seems so unreal to me right now that I'm still not sure that this isn't some dream I'm having. I keep thinking that I'm gonna wake up, and find out Dallas is 2-8 with all the usual shit show in full play.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I never liked the Romo contract but what choice did the have at the time.
Letting him shop the market to see what his real value was, instead of just shoveling money to him with a dozen pitchforks? Oh and how about some due diligence, like a physical exam they didn't do? Could have saved tons.

Reaction score
Martin is not going anywhere. No need to worry about that. They love him, he loves us. We will exercise 5th year option, and then if necessary, franchise him for two more years.

Not a concern at all.

The conversation is not Martin OR defensive help.

I can confirm this.

Also, I'm about 80% sure Peterson will be a Cowboy, and we're going to sign Michael Huff just as soon as we can end this lockout.

Top Bottom