yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
instructed his scouts to "find guys no one is talking about so I look smart" a few years back

I have no doubt this jackass would say something like this but do you have a source or a link to an article for this?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Allegedly, we were 50/50 on Taco vs Watt, so yes, Jerry probably broke the tie.

By all accounts, it was Marinelli that broke the tie because he liked Taco's size and arm length over Watt's. He thought Taco was more of the prototypical 4-3 DE, where as he thought Watt might be better suited to 3-4 OLB.

I don't know what the ratio was for Thornhill vs Trysten. I do know Jerry wants desperately to appear to be a clever football guy and had instructed his scouts to "find guys no one is talking about so I look smart" a few years back. You want all the glory for being the self-appointed GM, so he should absolutely take the blame for those disastrous picks.

I don't doubt he said that, but that seems like something that was more along the lines of drunken GM circa 1994-2002 than today. I do agree with your statement that he deserves the blame for bad picks since he brags daily to the media that "he makes the decisions" on everything. Although I don't believe he makes many decisions regarding the draft. He's so dunk and senile I doubt he even knows who 25% of the players available are.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I have no doubt this jackass would say something like this but do you have a source or a link to an article for this?
No, not to sound too "hostile" but I know a guy who used to work there under Dalrymple. They would be briefed on who the Cowboys were likely to draft so that they could write the stories ahead of time and have them ready to publish online right after the picks. He said early in the year, Jerry would come in and tell the scouts to find the guys no one is talking about and then pre-draft, tell the writers that fans love a guy with a good story. This was from several years ago, pre-Parcells.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
No, not to sound too "hostile" but I know a guy who used to work there under Dalrymple. They would be briefed on who the Cowboys were likely to draft so that they could write the stories ahead of time and have them ready to publish online right after the picks. He said early in the year, Jerry would come in and tell the scouts to find the guys no one is talking about and then pre-draft, tell the writers that fans love a guy with a good story. This was from several years ago, pre-Parcells.

I hate jeri so much

Top Bottom