Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Has anyone switched from cable or satellite (specifically Direct TV) to YouTube TV or something similar? In a cursory look at YouTube TV it appears that the chanel line up is similar to Direct TV.

I have been with Direct TV for as long as I can remember. At least 25 or more years. But now that Sunday Ticket is moving to YouTube TV there is absolutely nothing keeping me from switching to a new provider and saving some money. Direct TV essentially has had me/us all held hostage because they were the sole provider of the NFL Package/Season Ticket.

Have any of you guys already made the jump to YouTube TV? If so, have you seen any drawbacks or problems with the switch from Direct TV to YouTube TV?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Had DirectTV when it first started back in 1994 and had it three years then was done with it. Never had YT TV. I understand they've raised their price three times already?

You'll need the cord if you're gonna do YT.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Had DirectTV when it first started back in 1994 and had it three years then was done with it. Never had YT TV. I understand they've raised their price three times already?

You'll need the cord if you're gonna do YT.

YT TV is an app on my smart tv

No cords needed

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yes WiFi

And of course it’s connected to the internet. The internet is not the cord that ppl talk about cutting.

Cutting the cord refers to the cord for cable tv or for satellite tv. Not the internet.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yes WiFi

And of course it’s connected to the internet. The internet is not the cord that ppl talk about cutting.

Cutting the cord refers to the cord for cable tv or for satellite tv. Not the internet.
Cable is the cord. And you're not cutting a cord by leaving DirecTV. It has a coax connecting you to the dish, but it ain't cable.

5g internet is true cord cutting. No cord anywhere to be had.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You and your semantics

No one refers to the internet when they mention cutting the cord

It’s most widely used in reference to getting rid of satellite or cable tv. As per our discussion here. It’s also used in reference to getting rid of a landline

113a4637872c6a9cb210cab2ffef2648.jpg

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You and your semantics

No one refers to the internet when they mention cutting the cord

It’s most widely used in reference to getting rid of satellite or cable tv. As per our discussion here. It’s also used in reference to getting rid of a landline

113a4637872c6a9cb210cab2ffef2648.jpg
I've never considered satellite part of the "cord" game. You literally were "cord cutting" when you got DirecTV and disconnected the cable, back in the day.

5g is the only true "cord free" internet or TV. If you're really counting satellite as a cord service. I don't.

touchdown

Defense Wins Championships
Reaction score
To me, cord cutting is those that stop paying for a subscription service of channels, whether it be from cable or satellite, or a streaming service like YouTube TV.

I cut the cable in 2016 and have not looked back. I have a smart TV by LG that gives me an integrated bunch of free streaming channels, sourced from multiple platforms, like Pluto TV...

My Roku also give the Roku Channel, that has integrated channels from platforms like Pluto TV.

touchdown

Defense Wins Championships
Reaction score
The nice thing about integrated streaming channels, is that you can also have your OTA channels from an antenna included in the listing, along with a channel guide of what's on every channel, streaming or OTA.

It's nice to be in one portal and see many streaming channels vs. going in and out of a platform like Pluto, to then go into another platform, like Flimrise, or Tubi, or Freevee.

Top Bottom