Reaction score
Fans passing through the northern entrance to AT&T Stadium often stop and take pictures of the Tom Landry statue, a larger-than-life depiction in which Tom gazes off to the west, perhaps wondering why there's a Wal-Mart next to a football stadium.

Beyond that, at least for a moment, Tom looks as fully in charge as he did for most of his 29 years at the helm. It would be unfair to compare any Cowboys coach to one of the game's great innovators on both sides of the ball, and yet ...

Even at 8-4 with the Cowboys enjoying their finest season since 2009, which just happens to be the only year the team has won a playoff game this century, questions about Jason Garrett surface after every defeat. This is especially true after a no-show performance in the biggest division contest of the season on Thanksgiving Day.

I'm not talking about the always popular question of job security. You can forget about that for now.

Even if Thursday signaled that this team is ready to unravel, even it misses the playoffs for a fifth straight season for the first time since 1986-90 (the era in which this team was placed in the hands of Jerry Jones), Garrett's not going anywhere.

Rest assured that when the Cowboys play their ninth game sometime late October or early November in 2015, Garrett will have served as head coach longer than any man since Landry. That's going to happen.

Jones has left himself no real options on this front since there's no likelihood he sees promoting either of his coordinators, Rod Marinelli or Scott Linehan, as even a short-term answer. Besides, if this team truly falls apart in December, they won't be having their greatest month, anyway.

I don't see this thing completely going that direction, even after the 33-10 loss to the Eagles. My guess today would be a 10-6 finish that leaves the team just shy of the playoffs again (Detroit has a softer schedule, and I'm betting Arizona, which owns a win over Dallas, slips to the other wild-card spot).

All that aside, the reason Garrett's situation comes up is twofold. One, the Cowboys were just undressed by Chip Kelly's innovative offense while Dallas tried to prove to the world it will run the ball in all situations.

Garrett has been a good offensive coordinator in his time with Dallas, but he lacks the experience to bring the kind of game-changing creativity Kelly has delivered in Philadelphia. And to some degree, he now lacks the ability to put his in-game stamp on the club.

Beyond that, Garrett continues to commit the unpardonable sin of putting his quarterback at risk when there is nothing to gain, then follows by showing a lack of awareness that resting Tony Romo should even have been considered.

He had Romo taking sacks in the fourth quarter in London, long after Jacksonville had been put to rest. This was after Romo had missed the previous game with small fractures in his surgically repaired back.

Against the Eagles, it was worse.

Garrett sent Romo back onto the field to throw passes (and risk sacks) with nothing to gain beyond the possible extension of a hollow touchdown-passing streak. Garrett said he believed Romo came out with around six minutes to go, and until that time Dallas was still trying to win the game.

Actually, Romo's last snap came with 4:21 to go in a game the Cowboys were trailing by 23 points. Only his interception got him to the safety of the bench.

I know other coaches make this mistake, but not all of them have 34-year-old quarterbacks with back problems.

I also understand the physical nature of the game, the need for a leader to weather tough times and all the rest. But if the Cowboys are going to treat Romo with kid gloves during the week, limiting his practice time as much as possible (a good decision), why would you want him on the field in any kind of November blowout with the risk of putting this team in the hands of Brandon Weeden in December?

Garrett is like the running quarterback who wants to prove himself a pocket passer and forgets what makes him effective. A Princeton grad, Garrett is exceptionally smart on any number of issues, but he prefers to pass himself off as a toughness-is-all-that-counts guy, the same way a rural Texas high school coach would.

But any discussion of a Cowboys head coach becomes something of a conundrum as you recognize that, in other situations, struggles can fall on the shoulders of the general manager. That doesn't happen here, which shines the spotlight even brighter on the head coach despite his lack of authority relative to the same position on other NFL clubs.

The bottom line: The Landry statue won't have a Garrett statue to look at any time soon. But Garrett's not going anywhere even if a promising season gets derailed in December.

On Twitter:
@TimCowlishaw

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Rest assured that when the Cowboys play their ninth game sometime late October or early November in 2015, Garrett will have served as head coach longer than any man since Landry

Just fucking kill me now.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
No shit. How many coaches now have turned their teams around AND made the playoffs in 3 year or less? Harbaugh, Carroll, and Kelly? Garrett is still trying to figure out when to challenge a play. I wasn't sold on Garrett even when we were 6-1.

Reaction score
The offense should be unstoppable. Too much talent on that side of the ball. If the Cowboys dont make the playoffs, Garrett needs to go.

Reaction score
As long as he is the coach, we will never accomplish anything. We will be in a perpetual state of spinning our wheels. We might get lucky one year and make the playoffs, but we won't win, and we won't make it back the following year.

In the NFL, if you have good coaching and an elite QB, you can overcome everything else - literally everything else - and field a winner. For Garrett's entire tenure, he's had a top 10 (at worst) QB and hasn't been able to crack .500.

He is one of the worst 3 game day coaches in the league. And he displays is uncreative game plans, his inability to adjust, his lack of situational awareness, and his overall incompetence every game.

He might be good from an organizational standpoint. He might have sound philosophies, might have a clear vision for how he wants his team built, etc, but if he's a liability on gameday - which he very clearly is - then he's an anchor to our progress.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Jones has left himself no real options on this front since there's no likelihood he sees promoting either of his coordinators, Rod Marinelli or Scott Linehan, as even a short-term answer. Besides, if this team truly falls apart in December, they won't be having their greatest month, anyway.

ridiculous. you think the Jets won't fire Ryan because they don't have anyone to promote from within?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
ridiculous. you think the Jets won't fire Ryan because they don't have anyone to promote from within?

Yeah, that makes little sense. Maybe he's talking about the angle that Jerry couldn't promote someone and keep the staff intact and sell "continuity". But I thought almost all of these coaches' contracts ended this year anyway.

And we need to forget this idea that changing coaches automatically means years of adjustment anyway. Hire the right guy and you can start winning right away -- see SF and Philly.

But meh, none of this will happen. We'll at least win enough for Jerry to triumphantly extend his pet project.

Reaction score
I think there's something to the idea that Jerry probably doesn't want to fire Garrett because it will likely mean the end of Marinelli, Linehan, and Callahan here. Those guys will bolt if not promoted to HC, for staffs where they have familiarity.

And as Jerry did the last couple of HC hires, he will likely want to have at least some of the staff in place for a new HC. He probably sees improvement in the defensive performance and the offense's strides in the running game, and thinks we need to keep Linehan and Marinelli, whatever it takes. He can't promote both of them, so he probably thinks keeping Garrett is the only way to keep them, and like TE says, sell the continuity and improvement that we saw this season.

He's a different animal from Jets ownership and front office.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
If they reward Garrett for his constant mediocrity it just sends a message to the fans that they are content with revenue, popularity, and don't really care about winning football.

It's getting to the point where I was with the Dodgers. Just got so sick of them standing pat and never really competing. I used to be as big a Dodgers fan as I am a Cowboys fan and now I no longer give a damn about baseball.

I wouldn't have loved it but I understood giving him an extension had they made the playoffs. Bringing him back without the playoff appearance sends the message that the whole organization is perfectly okay with "almost." This sucks.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
If they reward Garrett for his constant mediocrity it just sends a message to the fans that they are content with revenue, popularity, and don't really care about winning football.

It's getting to the point where I was with the Dodgers. Just got so sick of them standing pat and never really competing. I used to be as big a Dodgers fan as I am a Cowboys fan and now I no longer give a damn about baseball.

I wouldn't have loved it but I understood giving him an extension had they made the playoffs. Bringing him back without the playoff appearance sends the message that the whole organization is perfectly okay with "almost." This sucks.
Mediocreville.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe he's talking about the angle that Jerry couldn't promote someone and keep the staff intact and sell "continuity". But I thought almost all of these coaches' contracts ended this year anyway.

you don't tell a new HC that he has to accept this or that coordinator. no one worthwhile would work under those conditions. this isn't like keeping Jimmy's staff in place for an NFL newbie like Switzer. Marinelli bombed last year and his patchwork defense is cratering anew, yet he's somehow indispensable? fuck that. Jerry's keeping Garrett because he's cheap, can be bossed around, and doesn't compete with him for the spotlight. case closed.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Hasn't that message already been sent about a thousand times, though?

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Hasn't that message already been sent about a thousand times, though?

To those that are paying attention.

Unfortunately, there are too many who are fooled by Garrett's fake comradery and Jerry's bold predictions, that keep the money rolling in, which allows Jones to keep pulling off this scam.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there are too many who are fooled by Garrett's fake comradery and Jerry's bold predictions, that keep the money rolling in, which allows Jones to keep pulling off this scam.
But I really DO think Jerruh desperately wants to win another Super Bowl, perchance to prove he can do it without Jimmy or his influence. SB 30 really doesn't count, that was mostly Jimmy's team still.

Prove he can do it, not possible. He can't. He will go to his grave deeply bitter over the fact, too.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
To those that are paying attention.

Sad thing is, they'll be even more pulled in next year when they're buying "10 win season! Improvement! Right direction! This is our year!" :facepalm

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
But I really DO think Jerruh desperately wants to win another Super Bowl,

I used to believe that too.

His " Would you be embarrassed if you were standing in this stadium" comment changed my mind permanently. He cares about his own ego so much that he will willingly sacrifice winning to prop it up.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
His " Would you be embarrassed if you were standing in this stadium" comment changed my mind permanently. He cares about his own ego so much that he will willingly sacrifice winning to prop it up.
That's a fair assessment too.

Top Bottom