C

Cr122

Cowboys should not rush Dez Bryant back to play pre-season games

09:54 PM CDT on Wednesday, August 4, 2010
SportsDayDFW.com
Dallas Morning News writers were on site for the Dallas Cowboys’ training camp on Wednesday and chatted with fans and answered questions regarding players and injuries. Here are some highlights:

With this being AOA's [Akwasi Owusu-Ansah] first practice, could he possibly be playing by the third pre-season game?

Archer : Yeah, that sounds about right with the third preseason game at San Diego. Remember he hasn't done anything so he'll need time to learn the scheme some on the field. That's why Sean Lee could play Sunday because he's had the OTAs, mini camp and a week of training camp.

Is this the year that Felix Jones becomes the primary back for the Cowboys?

Archer: I don't know if it will be the Felix Jones Show. It depends on the expectations. Will he get 20 carries a game, on average? I doubt it. I think they'll use all three backs like they have but at the end of the year Jones will have more carries than Barber.

Will Dez Bryant be ready for the season opener?

Archer : I know Jerry Jones wants to speed up that return but I don't see why they would want him to play in that final preseason game when Phillips doesn't play any regulars. It would make no sense to get him time with Stephen McGee and Matt Nichols and risk the injury. Just rest it until the opener at Washington.

Moore: If he's on the outer range of the four to six week timetable, it will be close. The team will have a better idea if that's possible later next week when he gets the boot off. There's a chance he will be ready for the opener and obviously, he wants to be. But as Todd said, don't push it.

How is Bennett doing? Jerry mentioned in one of the interviews that he was lighting it up.

Fraley: I wouldn't go that far. Remember, Jones is enamored with Bennett. He did perform well after missing nine practices because of an ankle injury but lately has seemed to be out of position on pass routes.

I understand Bennett has great potential and money invested in him but at what point does dependability and maturity pay-off for Phillips?

Fraley: Maybe in a year. Phillips gets every chance to prove himself now.

Moore: If Phillips is the better player because he is the more consistent player, he will move ahead of Bennett at some point this season. If it doesn't show up on the depth chart, it will show in the opportunities each will get from Romo

Top Bottom