C

Cr122

Cowboys notes: Rookies return; Kitna banged up

11:00 PM CDT on Wednesday, August 4, 2010
By DAVID MOORE / The Dallas Morning News
dmoore@dallasnews.com
SAN ANTONIO – Two members of the Cowboys' medically challenged rookie class took to the practice field Wednesday.

In the case of safety Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, it was the first time the fourth-round pick has practiced with the team since he was taken in the April draft.

"It's an exciting feeling," Owusu-Ansah said. "I feel like I'm officially a Cowboy now. I signed a contract and all that, but nothing can replace the feeling of being out here practicing with your teammates, having the star on your helmet and all the little things."

Second-round pick Sean Lee, who missed 13 consecutive practices with a strained quad, also returned.

Both players looked good. Owusu-Ansah showed good speed and movement on his kickoff returns. Lee picked up two sacks and made a nice read on a screen pass to Felix Jones to stop it for no gain.

"I felt really good," said Lee, who believes he cramped up because he didn't hydrate well enough between practices. "The quad felt good, and I'm excited to move on from here.

"It's tough not to feel like a pansy being on the sideline when you're hurt. It's tough to see your team really grind through two-a-days and not be a part of it."

Coach Wade Phillips was pleased with how both players looked, saying neither made any mental mistakes that he noticed. There is a chance Lee will play Sunday against Cincinnati if he suffers no setbacks. Owusu-Ansah won't play against the Bengals but could go next Thursday against Oakland.

"Physically, you can't replace that," Owusu-Ansah said of the practice time he missed. "But mentally, I've been in the meeting rooms. I've been right there with my teammates when they get yelled at by the coaches. I'm right there, learning from their mistakes."

Now, Owusu-Ansah can get yelled at as well.

"Absolutely," he said. "I'm going to get yelled at today, but it's something I look forward to."

Spencer, Kitna banged up: Linebacker Anthony Spencer didn't practice Wednesday because of a bruised right Achilles'. He suffered the injury in Tuesday's second session when someone stepped on his foot.

"I'm fine," Spencer said. "I was just hanging out a little bit."

Phillips said Spencer was held out as a precaution but stopped short of saying he would play against Cincinnati.

Backup quarterback Jon Kitna hurt his left hand on the fifth play of practice and had the fingers taped. He never left the field and completed the practice, calling it the "hazards of the business.

"The good news is, I only use my left hand to wear a baseball glove."

Reaction score
"I feel like I'm officially a Cowboy now. I signed a contract and all that, but nothing can replace the feeling of being out here practicing with your teammates, having the star on your helmet and all the little things."

I'm glad we dropped the 'having to earn your star' thing from a few years ago.

C

Cr122

I'm glad we dropped the 'having to earn your star' thing from a few years ago.

I'm opposite, I liked everything that had to do with that.

Parcells made you earn it, not just give it to you.

Top Bottom