Reaction score
The Cowboys are also hiring Cleveland Browns Jerome Henderson as their new defensive backs coach, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

------

Wow, great night! Our coaching staff got improved considerably.

Reaction score
Cowboys hire Browns Jerome Henderson as their new DB Coach

Cowboys replace Hudson Houck

By Chris Mortensen

The Dallas Cowboys have hired former New York Jets line coach Bill Callahan to replace legendary offensive line coach Hudson Houck, who has decided to retire after 29 years in the NFL, Houck confirmed Tuesday night.

The Cowboys are also hiring Cleveland Browns Jerome Henderson as their new defensive backs coach, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Houck, 68, is believed to have coached more Pro Bowl offensive linemen in league history, dating back to his time when he began in 1983 with the Los Angeles Rams, including a stint with the Cowboys that began in 1993 when he was their line coach for two of their three Super Bowl championship seasons.

"I've had a great time, been part of a lot of winning teams and I've enjoyed a lot of wonderful relationships," said Houck. "I plan on meeting with (Cowboys owner) Jerry Jones tomorrow to just express my gratitude for what he's done for me and my family. It's time for me and Elsie (his wife) to enjoy the grandkids even more."

Callahan, 55, is leaving the Jets after joining them in 2008 as assistant head coach/offensive line. He could not be reached for comment.

Aside from coaching for the Rams and Cowboys (two stints), Houck also coached for the Seahawks, Chargers and Dolphins.

Former Rams tackle Jackie Slater credited Houck with his development as a Hall of Famer and Houck was very influential in the Cowboys selecting USC tackle Tyron Smith as the No. 9 overall pick in the 2011 draft. Smith developed into the team's best lineman and one of the top offensive rookies in the league.

Slater was one of five Rams linemen to enjoy 21 Pro Bowl appearances under Houck's tutelage. During his 1993-2001 stretch with the Cowboys, he coached six linemen who had 22 Pro Bowl selections. With the Rams, Eric Dickerson ran for a record 2,105 yards in 1994 behind Houck's line. Emmitt Smith compiled most of his NFL career rushing yards record when Houck was the line coach in Dallas.

Houck played center for the USC Trojans and was a member of their 1962 national championship team.

Reaction score
Jerome Henderson enters his third season as the Browns’ defensive backs coach after being named to the post on January 22, 2009.

In 2010, Henderson was instrumental in the development of cornerback Joe Haden and safety T.J. Ward, both of whom were consensus all-rookie selections. Despite starting just seven games, Haden led the team with six interceptions, a figure that tied for fourth in the AFC and fifth in the NFL. It also was the second-highest figure among NFL rookies in 2010. Haden’s total also tied for the fourth-highest single-season figure by a Browns rookie and were the most since 2001. Ward started all 16 games, becoming the first Browns rookie defensive back to do that since Antonio Langham in 1994. In addition, Ward led the team with 105 tackles on defense, a figure that ranked first among all NFL rookies last year. He became the first rookie to lead the Browns in defensive tackles since 1999.

Prior to joining the Browns, Henderson spent the previous two seasons as a member of the New York Jets’ staff. Under Henderson’s guidance as defensive backs coach in 2008, cornerback Darrelle Revis earned a Pro Bowl berth after leading the team with five interceptions. In 2007, Henderson split duties as an assistant defensive backs coach and director of player development. He first joined the Jets in 2006 as the director of player development after serving as vice president of HomeBanc Mortgage Corp. in Raleigh, N.C. from 2002-05.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Change is good.

Now go big on defense in free agency.

And bpa in the draft.

A whole offseason of mike woicik will be good also.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This is the guy Ryan wanted last year and Cleveland wouldnt give us permission to hire him. Ryan says he is the best DB coach in the league. That might be extreme, but its obviously someone he has a great working relationship with.

Another solid hire by JG

C

Cr122

This is the guy Ryan wanted last year and Cleveland wouldnt give us permission to hire him. Ryan says he is the best DB coach in the league. That might be extreme, but its obviously someone he has a great working relationship with.

Another solid hire by JG

I'm sure Rob had a lot to say about it. I mean you know he had told JG that the poodle can't coach in his scheme, and needs to go.

Something in the means of, " I can't work with pieces of shit like this."

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm sure Rob had a lot to say about it. I mean you know he had told JG that the poodle can't coach in his scheme, and needs to go.

Something in the means of, " I can't work with pieces of shit like this."

Ryan did have nothing but praise for Campo last year when he decided to keep him.

I dont think Campo is horrible like some of you, but it was obvious it was time for a significant change back there. I've often heard players like Darren Woodson and Kevin Smith talk about how good a coach Campo was, and those guys had pretty good careers.

C

Cr122

Ryan did have nothing but praise for Campo last year when he decided to keep him.

I dont think Campo is horrible like some of you, but it was obvious it was time for a significant change back there. I've often heard players like Darren Woodson and Kevin Smith talk about how good a coach Campo was, and those guys had pretty good careers.

Sensabaugh and Newman, what's that tell ya? Yeah, part of it is the players, but I believe Campo had a hard time figuring out some of the coverage's in Rob's scheme.

Henderson knows all the coverage's and can teach it to the right players. I don't think they are on the roster. Jenkins maybe, but I still think some of these current players will be replaced.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Sensabaugh and Newman, what's that tell ya? Yeah, part of it is the players, but I believe Campo had a hard time figuring out some of the coverage's in Rob's scheme.

Henderson knows all the coverage's and can teach it to the right players. I don't think they are on the roster. Jenkins maybe, but I still think some of these current players will be replaced.

Oh I dont doubt that Henderson being familiar with the scheme will help immensely. I also agree there's gonna be two, maybe even three new starters in the secondary next year. Jenkins is a lock to remain, but the other 3 (yes CMD, that includes Sensabaugh) are not locks and Elam/Newman are gone IMO.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Oh I dont doubt that Henderson being familiar with the scheme will help immensely. I also agree there's gonna be two, maybe even three new starters in the secondary next year. Jenkins is a lock to remain, but the other 3 (yes CMD, that includes Sensabaugh) are not locks and Elam/Newman are gone IMO.

With his former position coach coming over from the Browns, Elam might be returning now.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
With his former position coach coming over from the Browns, Elam might be returning now.

Yep that is a good point.

Eric wright is available again, but I think Henderson and Ryan were down oh him in Cleveland.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I thought about that, it could be. But it better not be without legit competition for his spot. I cant imagine he'd get anything more than a 1 or 2 yr deal either.

Top Bottom