Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys might be open to selecting linebacker Courtney Upshaw with the No. 14 pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, executive vice president Stephen Jones said.

In an interview posted by the Dallas Morning News, Jones was asked about the three Alabama products -- including Upshaw, cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick and safety Mark Barron -- who are possibly going to be on the board when the Cowboys take their turn in the draft.

After signing the praises of Kirkpatrick and Barron, Jones said Upshaw will merit the team's attention.

"He's a guy we're really going to have to take a long, hard look at over the next couple of weeks to see is he a (strong-side) linebacker for us, what is his more natural position or is he more of a defensive end," Jones said.

Jones, who met with all three players, spoke highly of Alabama's program. He said that "you can tell (Kirkpatrick, Barron and Upshaw have) been coached up well. They said (Alabama coach) Nick (Saban) gets involved individually in coaching them and has high expectations for them."

The Cowboys are projected to take Barron by NFL Network's Charley Casserly, Albert Breer and Charles Davis, all of whom predict the team will use the pick to shore up its secondary.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that at DMN and the title is a little misleading. They act like they are saying Upshaw is "the" guy at 14, but what SJ actually said was they needed to really figure out if eh could play OLB or if he's more of a true DE.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If pass rushing OLBs are what they are looking for, there is better value in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Didn't Bill Jones say to scratch him off the list?

I guess one of the insiders at CZ is getting wind that Dallas may not take him. He may be off the board but they may also need to take another look at him. If that that clears anything up.

Reaction score

I guess one of the insiders at CZ is getting wind that Dallas may not take him. He may be off the board but they may also need to take another look at him. If that that clears anything up.

I think it's time for "the talk".

Iamtdg

Reaction score
You notice how Stephen Jones has had a lot more face time than he has ever had in the past?

Is Jerry grooming him to be just as meddling?

I think that's a big fat yes.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

lol "Insiders"....freaking hilarious

that guy has absolutely NO legit inside information

Reaction score
You notice how Stephen Jones has had a lot more face time than he has ever had in the past?

Is Jerry grooming him to be just as meddling?

I think that's a big fat yes.

When he starts with the lipsmacks and winks I'll start being concerned.

Top Bottom