C

Cr122

July, 27, 2010

By Bryan Broaddus

My thoughts from Monday's practice:

*In my first Scout’s Eye, I gave praise to the job that the defensive backs were able to do against these receivers and the way they were able to play tight coverage throughout the day. Monday afternoon, the receivers turned the tables on the defensive backs and had a productive afternoon.

It all started in the one-on-one drills and carried through team. Much has been said about Dez Bryant and his ability to separate from defenders. In the opening shot, Bryant was able to get past Jenkins by going vertical, “stutter go”. Jenkins was only saved by Stephen McGee’s inability to judge how fast Dez really is by holding the ball and allowing Jenkins to show his outstanding catch up speed. If McGee just throws the ball down the field, its six points, instead it’s a pass breakup.

As I watched the receivers work, they were able to create space Monday where two days ago, they did not. It was a combination of outstanding route running and Romo being on his game.

*Wade spoke of his disappointment of the way his defense played in practice but I am sure when he gets back and studies the tape that he will be happy with the way several of his defenders played. I really thought that Sean Lee and Brandon Williams had a nice effort.

Brandon as a rusher has some very good reps with an explosive first step. Lee made a play on a ball to the outside in the running game covering a lot of ground that was really top flight. I thought that Gerald Sensabaugh at safety flashed some skill. There was one time where Jason Witten (a mismatch player) tried to run a crossing route but Gerald was there in tight coverage driving on the ball. Nose man Jay Ratliff continues to be disruptive when they go 9 on 7 versus offense. He is so difficult to block when he is on the move because of his lateral quickness and strength.

*First off I would like to thank special teams coach Joe DeCamillis for using some of his special teams time and kicking field goals toward the real NFL goalposts instead of the Pop Warner ones he likes to use from time to time.

I have been very critical of the kicking situation here with the Cowboys and the job that David Buehler will either win or lose this summer. I took the opportunity to sit behind the goalposts in the Alamodome stands and chart the various kicks that Buehler took. There was only one time where he was close to a miss as the ball drifted toward the left upright but it did go through and he was 4-for-4.

I don’t know if there is more pressure on anyone else in this camp then there is on Buehler, but he is saying the right things and he proved to be consistent at this time. I would not be the least bit surprised if Wade Phillips tries to get Buehler more kicks in the preseason in game situations by not going for first downs on fourth-and-short inside the opponents’ 30-yard-line. The more confidence and trust that Buehler can build with his teammates and coaching staff could go a long way to this team’s future success.

Reaction score
Beuhler went 4-4.

That's great news.

But . . . why is he only kicking four field goals during a session?

Top Bottom