Simple Yes or No vote: Bill Bates for the Cowboys Ring of Honor

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I can't freaking believe there are people in existence who don't think Bill Bates should be in the Cowboys Ring of Honor.

A undrafted free agent, Bates was too small and too slow and was a long shot to make the team but his heart and hustle earned him a roster spot on the team and a place in the hearts of all Cowboy fans. From the start he excelled on special teams, being named NFC special teams Player of the Year as a rookie.

In 1984 he was selected to the Pro Bowl, forcing the NFL to create a first-time roster spot for special teams players, making Bates the first such player to receive that election. He was also elected All-Pro that season. Opposing teams started running practice scout teams, designing schemes to try to stop him on kick coverage. They had to GAME PLAN for him!

In 1986, Bates became a starter at strong safety and remained there until 1988, after which he was used only in the Nickel defense packages. At the end of the 1989 season, Jimmy Johnson informed Bates that he was going to be left unprotected on the team’s Plan B free agency list. Although the Minnesota Vikings were interested in him, just before the deadline, the Cowboys decided to protect him.

Bates received the team’s Bob Lilly Award four consecutive seasons from 1990 to 1994. This award is selected by a vote of the fans and annually goes to the Cowboy player who displays leadership and character on and off the field. In 1992, he suffered a season-ending knee injury. After the 1993 season, he was selected by his teammates to receive the Ed Block Courage Award for successfully overcoming this injury.

Bates is tied with Ed "Too Tall" Jones and Mark Tuinei for the most seasons playing in a Cowboys uniform with 15. Upon his retirement after the 1997 season, he was considered one of the most beloved Cowboys of all time. Over his 15-year career, he had 14 interceptions and 122 return yards.

Bates earned three Super Bowl rings with the Cowboys, playing in Super Bowl XXVIII and Super Bowl XXX. He was on injured reserve during the 1992 season, when the Cowboys played in Super Bowl XXVII.

Tom Landry once said, “If we had 11 players on the field who played as hard as Bill Bates does and did their homework like he does, we’d be almost impossible to beat”. He described Bates and Cliff Harris as "the hardest hitters I ever saw." Referring to Bates' reputation as a hard hitter, John Madden stated, "Every game starts with a kick. With Bill Bates on the field, every game begins with a bang!"

In 2011, Bates was awarded the Tom Landry Legend Award.

What's the knock on Bates? Fifteen years he sold his body out and honored the star. Made up for his lack of physical tools with heart and football intelligence. How can anyone believe he doesn't belong in the RoH?

Reaction score
I don't care about players who played before I became a fan (1992) and I don't care about the ring of honor.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Uh, being good?
Bates wasn't good? C'mon now.

The Ring of Honor's actual definition goes like this: "The Dallas Cowboys Ring of Honor honors former players, coaches and club officials who made outstanding contributions to the Dallas Cowboys football organization."

Bates didn't make outstanding contributions?

Iamtdg

Reaction score
What the fuck is the ring of honor even about, if Billy Bates doesn't qualify? This is nuts!

So, you would have a career special teamer in the ROH. Talk about nuts.

Listen, I loved watching him play, too. Plus, his path to get there was tough, and he made it. That's great, but not ROH worthy.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Compare his career to someone from this generation for The youngins
He is listed in the top ten all time for Dallas safeties, Dallas UDFAs and tied with Tuey and Too Tall for most years played in Dallas. Read the OP - the NFL CREATED A SPOT JUST FOR HIM in the Pro Bowl for fuck's sakes! How many other players have that distinction?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Tom Landry once said, “If we had 11 players on the field who played as hard as Bill Bates does and did their homework like he does, we’d be almost impossible to beat”.

Actually, he said that about Charlie Waters when he gave up 3 TDs vs the Rams in 1973.

I wouldn't object to Bates being in the ROH, but spare me the "legend" talk.

A treat just for you:

[video=youtube;1Enhs6K60Z8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Enhs6K60Z8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Actually, he said that about Charlie Waters when he gave up 3 TDs vs the Rams in 1973.
He said it about Bates too, can't fault Tom for being nearly senile by that time. Doesn't make him wrong.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I wouldn't object to Bates being in the ROH, but spare me the "legend" talk.
There wasn't any.

A treat just for you:

[video=youtube;1Enhs6K60Z8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Enhs6K60Z8&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Thanks! One of many game changing plays Bates made.

I don't care about players who played before I became a fan (1992) and I don't care about the ring of honor.
Bate's best years were in the 90s. You never saw him play on Jimmy's teams?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He is in the top 10 because he DID play special teams. He was an average safety at best.
No, he is listed as a top ten Dallas SAFETY. Nothing at all to do with his special teams play.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Hell, I would put Tony Hill in before I would Bill Bates.

Yeah, I said it.
No doubt about it.

Bates? Ring of Hypedwhiteguys maybe.

And for MB4... Can't even think of one. You aren't even old enough to remember Steve Tasker, are you?

Top Bottom