C

Cr122

Archer: Romo a miracle pick for Cowboys, will win a Super Bowl

10:12 PM CDT on Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Dallas Morning News Cowboys writer Todd Archer answered your questions this week about Cowboys training camp. Some highlights of the full chat:

Join Todd and all of our Cowboys writers as we chat live, answer your questions and dish the behind the scenes tidbits during every Cowboys training camp practice. Chats begin this weekend: Saturday at 2:15 p.m.; Sunday at 9 a.m. and 3:15 p.m. Central.

On if Romo was a miracle pickup: In some ways, yes, absolutely. You just don't find quarterbacks like him that don't get drafted. You can go back to '04 and wonder what would've happened if they didn't cut Quincy Carter. Would they have kept four quarterbacks with Carter, Vinny Testaverde, Drew Henson and Romo? There was talk of that then, but Parcells hated burning roster spots on guys that couldn't help him on gameday.

Will Romo win a Super Bowl in his life? I think they win a Super Bowl with Romo but it has to happen here pretty quick.

On what we learned seeing Wade in the film session with the media? How is he behind the scenes? I said this after they did that session with us - you think you know, but you really don't know. And that includes everybody who thinks they know football. The stuff is so detailed. What I learned about Wade is that he is a good teacher. He makes it simple for his guys to just go play.

On his favorite Cowboy to interview and least favorite: Favorite - Witten, Newman, Bradie James, Brooking. You learn things from these guys when talking to them. Least favorite - Not because he's a bad guy or anything like that, but Felix Jones is pretty tough because he doesn't say anything. Again, he's a good guy.

sbk92

Reaction score
Dallas will win the Super Bowl this year.

I've already decided.

I can't ever go there with a Wade Phillips coached team.

Not that it can't happen, but I won't ever expect it to. He's got to do it before I'll believe it.

Reaction score
I believe we'll get it done.

He and Jerry have put together one hell of a team. I'm looking forward to this season.

sbk92

Reaction score
Yeah, he and Jerry have.

And Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. We can't forget their input.

Reaction score
Yeah, he and Jerry have.

And Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. We can't forget their input.

Look at the roster.

Only 16 current Cowboys came in under Bills watch -- a number that might decrease after the final 53 is announced. And some of those aren't attributed to him, directly. The whole Spears or Merriman over Ware, for one.

Bill deserves some credit for changing the philosophy of the team. And Jerry has benefited from having Bill here. But Bills influence is vastly overrated . . .

sbk92

Reaction score
Parcells built the core of this team. The franchise QB, the star WR, TE, the elite edge rusher, the dominant NT. Basically all the key cogs of this team were put in place by the great Bill Parcells.

That's not to mention the culture change and the scouting department remake.

Does anybody really believe we are winning today because of anything other than Bill Parcells? If Wade Phillips was brought in in 2003 are we contending today? Give me a f'n break. He'd have been fired in two years and we'd have moved on to the next coach.

C

Cr122

I can't ever go there with a Wade Phillips coached team.

Not that it can't happen, but I won't ever expect it to. He's got to do it before I'll believe it.

That's the one thing that worries me, if the team can win a Super Bowl being coached by Wade.

We know they can win during the season, but it is yet to be determined if they can win the Super Bowl with Wade.

Yeah, we won one playoff game, but that doesn't mean shit if we don't at least make it to the NFC Championship game this year, and maybe the Super Bowl.

And if we don't I don't think Jerry will take much more of Wade.

sbk92

Reaction score
That's the one thing that worries me, if the team can win a Super Bowl being coached by Wade.

We know they can win during the season, but it is yet to be determined if they can win the Super Bowl with Wade.

Yeah, we won one playoff game, but that doesn't mean shit if we don't at least make it to the NFC Championship game this year, and maybe the Super Bowl.

And if we don't I don't think Jerry will take much more of Wade.

If they do win it, most Cowboys fans will credit Wade.

But not me. I will be even more amazed at how great Parcells is that he can put together a core so solid, while handcuffed to Jerry, that even a JAG coach like Wade Phillips can win a championship with it.

No offense to Wade but his resume doesn't lie. He's a defensive coordinator. He leaves a lot to be desired as a head coach.

sbk92

Reaction score
We enter this season with a disadvantage at head coach. No question in my mind about it. Reid, Coughlin and Shanahan are all better head coaches.

Reaction score
Parcells built the core of this team. The franchise QB, the star WR, TE, the elite edge rusher, the dominant NT. Basically all the key cogs of this team were put in place by the great Bill Parcells.

Does anybody really believe we are winning today because of anything other than Bill Parcells? If Wade Phillips was brought in in 2003 are we contending today? Give me a f'n break.

Romo came in by recommendation of Jason Garrett. I'll give Parcells credit for letting the kid stick around. But it isn't as though Parcells picked Romo out and groomed him. Hell, Parcells waited until the absolute last minute to play the kid, and then hauled ass when it was his team.

Austin came in because of Jon Garrett. His rookie year was Parcells last year. Parcells doesn't get any credit in my book for Austin's development.

I'll give you Jason Witten. But even Parcells insisted on taking Al Johnson over Witten in the 2nd. We're just fortunate the stars aligned and the kid fell to us in the third. Most mocks had him going to the Eagles in round one.

It's well documented that Ware is here because of Jerry and Stephen. Parcells wanted Merriman, and then Spears. Jerry and Stephen had to meet with Parcells the night before the draft and tell him Ware was their guy. Parcells pouted. Parcells, following his outdated "Planet-Theory", then wanted Spears at 11. And when Parcells was here . . . Ware spent half his time dropping into coverage.

Ratliff I'll give you.

This is Wade and Jerry's team.

Reaction score

And they'd be right in doing so.

He leaves a lot to be desired as a head coach.

As does Parcells.

You can slobber all over Parcells for him "building" this team, but you can't honestly tell me you feel like we were well coached during his tenure.

Parcells is old, antiquated, and stubborn. He's had diminishing success at each subsequent stop. And it wouldn't suprise me one bit if the Dolphins finished around .500 this year, and he rode off into the sunset.

C

Cr122

But not me. I will be even more amazed at how great Parcells is that he can put together a core so solid, while handcuffed to Jerry, that even a JAG coach like Wade Phillips can win a championship with it.

No offense to Wade but his resume doesn't lie. He's a defensive coordinator. He leaves a lot to be desired as a head coach.

I'll give Wade credit for the defense.

But I will give Parcells most of the credit for the core of this team.

Jerry will get some but not a lot. He's done some good things, and he's done some stupid things too.

We all know what they are.

Jerry as of late has made some good decisions, because Parcells came in and showed him the ropes.

And sbk you are correct, if Wade came in in 2003 then we have a whole different team.

sbk92

Reaction score
And sbk you are correct, if Wade came in in 2003 then we have a whole different team.

And that's the bottom line. People can spit out excuses as to why, but the bottom line is Parcells turns teams around. Not sometimes. Not most of the time. All of the time. He's flawless.

Wade wouldn't have lasted three seasons here had he arrived when Parcells did. And this team wouldn't be contending for shat right now if he had.

C

Cr122

And that's the bottom line. People can spit out excuses as to why, but the bottom line is Parcells turns teams around. Not sometimes. Not most of the time. All of the time. He's flawless.

Wade wouldn't have lasted three seasons here had he arrived when Parcells did. And this team wouldn't be contending for shat right now if he had.

I will give Wade credit for getting the defense going, but as far as being the HC, I still have my doubts.

I just don't like the way he coaches the team. I think it's more the players motivating themselves more than Wade getting the team prepared, because he has to coach the defense.

But even when he was coaching the team and not the defense I still didn't like it.

Top Bottom