bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
Aikman: Hypocrisy of Johnson, Jones unraveled '90s Cowboys

Video here
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.T7qlZFLDteB

By Nate Davis, USA TODAY
Updated 1d 2h ago

How many more Super Bowls might the 1990s Dallas Cowboys have won if owner Jerry Jones and head coach Jimmy Johnson had put their differences/egos aside?
CAPTION
By Charles Krupa, AP

We'll never know, but Hall of Fame Cowboys QB Troy Aikman expressed disappointment in the duo during an interview on NFL Network's The Rich Eisen Podcast this week.

"The chemistry of it all began to change," Aikman reflected, thinking back to 1994. Dallas had just won its second consecutive Super Bowl, but Johnson and Jones were in a power struggle that led to Johnson's departure. Barry Switzer took over the club in '94, and the Cowboys won Super Bowl XXX under his watch a year later.

Yet Aikman, who was interviewed along with fellow Hall of Famers Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin, hints that the Dallas dynasty left money on the table -- it remains just one of two teams to win three Super Bowls in a four-year stretch -- saying the team began to "slide" because Johnson and Jones couldn't get along.

Smith said the team's focus and commitment waned noticeably in 1994 even though the team reached the NFC Championship Game before losing to the San Francisco 49ers.

"The argument of Jimmy and Jerry -- that can go on forever. I mean they'll write books about that," said Aikman.

"When I point back to those years, the thing that Jimmy would always say to us ... 'If we achieve what we want to achieve as a team, there will be enough credit to go around for everybody. And the reason we won three Super Bowls -- Emmitt, myself, Michael, Daryl Johnston, Darren Woodson, Charles Haley, go through the whole list of guys -- everybody kind of just said, 'Hey, OK, we're gonna sacrifice a little individually.'

"But the guy telling us that and the owner of the club -- they couldn't do that. And that's the disappointing thing to me that that's what was preached to us, and yet the two guys who really ran the club, they couldn't unfortunately, you know, put their differences aside for the betterment of the team."

The Triplets reveal much more about their Cowboys past while mulling the team's future on The Rich Eisen Podcast, which re-airs on NFL Network this weekend.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Aikman also took some shots at Jerry on the ticket the other day. He came on to talk about the 20th anniversary party they had for the 92 team and he said he didn't understand why the coaches were not there.....he basically implied Jerry made no effort to get them there.

Reaction score
Spot on analysis by Aikman, there.

And I also think Jimmy was the kind of coach who, like Parcells, got burnt out after a certain amount of time at one spot.

C

Cr122

That's right, Jimmy was the main reason this team had success in the 90's. Without Jimmy we would still have no Super Bowl wins since Staubach.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Spot on analysis by Aikman, there.

And I also think Jimmy was the kind of coach who, like Parcells, got burnt out after a certain amount of time at one spot.

I'm sure he was burned out, but I bet the jones family h avin to get the credit for everything wasn't fun to be around either especially since Jerry and I bet Stephen also were like drunks. Hanging out at the white house with the players and partying etc....

Then most importantly like parcells if all of your coaches u R friends with and have a bond with leave it probably makes u want To go also. Wannstedt and Tony wise weereguys he knew well and was close to....they left and he had family issues, Jerry was an egomaniac taking credit for shit he had nothing to do with and he had already won two times.

It's not hard to understand why Jimmy would leave for me but it's very hard for me to understand why Jerry would not have done everything in his power to keep him and kiss his ass instead of acting like he was coach number 2 all the time. It's no conicidence Irvin went batshit crazy in the locker room the day Jimmy left.

Reaction score
That's right, Jimmy was the main reason this team had success in the 90's. Without Jimmy we would still have no Super Bowl wins since Staubach.

What does that have to do with the premise of the article?

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Interesting that Aikman splits the blame.

Easy to think of Jerry as the villain in it but it takes two to tango.

Reaction score
It makes you sick thinking about it.

It really does.

I was a fan through the 70's. It was absolutely great to cheer for Staubach, Landry and company, but we fans also had to sit through all of the Steelers glory / dynasty talk ... what with them winning four Super Bowls.

I've always believed that the 90's Cowboys should have had at least four Super Bowls. They should have at least equaled the Steelers of the 70's. Ultimately I place the failure at the feet of Jerry Jones. He gets petty and it cost the franchise mightily.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
It really does.

I was a fan through the 70's. It was absolutely great to cheer for Staubach, Landry and company, but we fans also had to sit through all of the Steelers glory / dynasty talk ... what with them winning four Super Bowls.

I've always believed that the 90's Cowboys should have had at least four Super Bowls. They should have at least equaled the Steelers of the 70's. Ultimately I place the failure at the feet of Jerry Jones. He gets petty and it cost the franchise mightily.

It might have happened even without Jimmy in the building, but the salary cap combined with free agency defections only made matters worse. If ever there was a bought championship, it was the 1994 Forty Niners (Richard Dent, Deion Sanders, Ken Norton Jr, Tim Harris, Rickey Jackson, Charles Mann, Tim McDonald, Bart Oates, Gary Plummer, etc.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
It might have happened even without Jimmy in the building, but the salary cap combined with free agency defections only made matters worse. If ever there was a bought championship, it was the 1994 Forty Niners (Richard Dent, Deion Sanders, Ken Norton Jr, Tim Harris, Rickey Jackson, Charles Mann, Tim McDonald, Bart Oates, Gary Plummer, etc.)

Good point about salary cap & free agency.

That's an impressive list of free agents for the 49ers.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I hate that damn 94 niners team.

They couldnt stop us from scoring and young wasnt good enough to beat us.

so they bought a bunch of all pro's on defense and still just wiggled by us when we were a beat up team missing its coach.

and that is the reason that shithead steve young became a first ballot hall of famer. The guy was a turnover waiting to happen in the postseason and he had minimal post season success after there all pro bought and paid for defense left town the next year.

he made some pretty lousy plays against the skins the week before we beat them in the championship game in 92.

first ballot hall of famer my ass.

Reaction score
Amazing what you can do when you violate the salary cap.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I still think there is a lot of ass kissing since Jerry still owns the Cowboys and is a powerful influence in the NFL. I think if he lost the team tomorrow and no longer had any "power", a crapload of stories would come out about him.

Jerry is the problem. I am 1000% certain and one day will be vindicated. I just hope the Hostile's and dbair's of the world are still around when that day comes.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I still think there is a lot of ass kissing since Jerry still owns the Cowboys and is a powerful influence in the NFL. I think if he lost the team tomorrow and no longer had any "power", a crapload of stories would come out about him.

Jerry is the problem. I am 1000% certain and one day will be vindicated. I just hope the Hostile's and dbair's of the world are still around when that day comes.

There's no doubt he's the problem.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

He's definitely a problem, he just hasnt been the ONLY problem, as some of you want to pretend.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
He's definitely a problem, he just hasnt been the ONLY problem, as some of you want to pretend.

Enlighten us with the other problems we've been saddled with these last 16 years. Can you find one that doesn't have Jerry's fingerprints all over it?

Reaction score
Except that Jimmy is supposed to be getting most of the credit. He didn't deviate from normal procedure, Jerry did.

If Jerry wanted the same he couldve applied to coach a team. I doubt he'd get it but he could apply

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

He is THE problem. He just can't put his ego aside regardless of how bad it affects the team because he's bat shit crazy.

Top Bottom