bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
1478466427-CowboysBrowns_AL050.JPG

By Jon Machota , Staff Writer

Trap game? You were worried about a trap game? The winless Cleveland Browns were no match for the Cowboys Sunday afternoon.

Here are my thoughts on a dominating 35-10 Cowboys win at FirstEnergy Stadium.

1.) Dak Prescott was excellent against the Browns. Although he struggled for much of Sunday night's win over the Eagles, the rookie QB was at his best late in the fourth quarter and overtime. Prescott started strong Sunday, going 4 for 4 through the air for 43 yards and a touchdown to Jason Witten on Dallas' first possession. Prescott's first half: 12 of 15 passing, 124 yards, 2 TDs, 140.7 rating. Prescott completed 21of 27 passes for 247 yards and three touchdowns (141.8 passer rating). As many in the Cowboys organization have said, Prescott just continues to check the boxes. At this point, I think the only way Tony Romo gets back in the lineup is if Prescott gets hurt or has just an epic meltdown of turnovers.

2.) For some reason, the Browns didn't think it was important to defend Jason Witten. The 10-time Pro Bowler and future Hall of Famer was open often, not just on his TD catch early. For the first time since 2013, Witten went over the 130-yard mark. He caught a game-high eight passes for 134 yards on 10 targets. Not a bad way to follow up Sunday night's game-winning catch in OT. Cleveland did a good job taking away Dez Bryant (1 catch, 19 yards), but Witten and Cole Beasely continued to do their jobs as Prescott's primary targets.

3.) Ezekiel Elliott again performed at an elite level. He finished with 18 carries for 92 yards and two touchdowns. If the game was closer in the fourth, Elliott would've gone for much more. He wasn't used much in the fourth quarter. He now has seven rushing touchdowns. Half of the NFL's teams entered this weekend without seven rushing TDs. The most impressive aspect of his game Sunday: regardless of how bad a play might've looked early, he almost always found a way to get back to the line of scrimmage or gain a couple yards. He continues to break tackles as well as any back in the league. Even if he doesn't end up breaking Eric Dickerson's rookie rushing record, Elliott is already putting together one of the finest rookie seasons in NFL history.

4.) The defense again prevented an opposing team from having a 100-yard receiver or 100-yard rusher. Dallas is the only team that can say that this season. There was consistent pressure on the quarterback. Rookie DT Maliek Collins led the way with two sacks, the first two of his career. Justin Durant had one and Anthony Hitchens and Damien Wilson combined on another. Pretty good day for the linebackers. Sean Lee was again around the ball often. Despite not creating any turnovers, Orlando Scandrick, Brandon Carr and Anthony Brown did a good job in coverage with Morris Claiborne and Barry Church inactive. Dallas was also very good on third down, limiting Cleveland to only one first down on nine third-down plays.

5.) Yes, the Browns are terrible and have a shot at going 0-16, but the Cowboys deserve credit for executing the game plan, taking advantage early and never looking back. There's something to be said for dominating when you're supposed to dominate. Can't say I predicted a 7-1 start to the season, but the Cowboys are rolling. Looking at their schedule going forward, Dallas should be favored in almost every game. Big Ben and the Steelers next week might be the Cowboys' toughest remaining test. If they stay healthy, a 13-3 or 14-2 season is possible.

Reaction score
Right now, the only issue I see is they have to stop trying to push the old offense into the new offense.

The new offense is built around reducing the down and distance and getting the first down or TD.

Period.

The main ingredients are running plays that pound every part of the line. Beasley and Witten getting open and continuing downfield. Dak getting the ball out or taking it himself. And the other skill position players just pepper things here and there. But that's what's working.

If the Dallas offense gets to 3rd and ten with no penalties, they are not the 2016 Cowboys, they are the 2015 Cowboys.

But then what about Dez? He just doesn't fit into the new offense, because he takes away Beasley's opportunities and Dez really hasn't been open running his typical routes.

Linehan needs to adjust Dez.

I would think that getting Dez in more crossing patterns, slants and especially starting him in motion so that Dez is open within seconds of leaving the line of scrimmage would just make the offense unmanageable by a defense. Dak seems to see those routes quickly. The evidence is that Witten and Beasley run those kind of patterns and Dak sees them and gets them the ball.

But as Charles Tillman tweeted, you can't just force Dez the ball. It's not working.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
I'd hang Dez out for Trade bait along with Romo at the end of the season.

Reaction score
14-2 would be fuckin' sweat, and a new team record as well. Hell, even 15-1 is doable as I think only the Patriots would scare me right now.

And to think, we are one play away from being undefeated right now.

Reaction score
14-2 would be fuckin' sweat, and a new team record as well. Hell, even 15-1 is doable as I think only the Patriots would scare me right now.

And to think, we are one play away from being undefeated right now.

TWilly. "It's my fault. I know I'm supposed to get out of bounds but I wanted to get the first down."

Top Bottom