bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
6DUYPYMWXFCNDE4AGCLXTYZNGY.jpg

By Jean-Jacques Taylor
11:00 AM on Dec 6, 2019

Here are 10 truths from the Cowboys’ 31-24 loss to the Chicago Bears on Thursday at Soldier Field...

1. This team, a collection of the right kind of guys as Jason Garrett often likes to tell us, is mentally and physically soft. They don’t play with any confidence, in part, because they haven’t demonstrated the ability to through the adversity of the season. And when you play soft, it gives the appearance of quitting, because you don’t execute or miss tackles. They played hard, but not well. They don’t get credit for not quitting; they’re supposed to play hard.

2. Dak Prescott was awful when it mattered. He passed for 334 yards and a touchdown, but much of that came once the Bears had a 17-point lead and decided to let him complete some passes as long as he didn’t complete them deep. Dallas needed a better performance from him in a huge game -- and he didn’t come close to delivering it.

3. Brett Maher is the first kicker to miss 10 field goals in the same season in four years. He missed a 42-yard field goal wide right that would’ve tied the score at 10-10 in the second quarter. He’s now 1-of-5 from 40-49 yards. The Cowboys worked out three kickers this week. They should’ve signed one. Maher’s misses, especially the past two weeks, have affected the flow of the game. It’s absurd he’s still on the team.

4. Mitch Trubisky has played poorly much of the year. The Cowboys made him look like a franchise quarterback. Ridiculous. He completed 23 of 31 passes for 244 yards and three touchdowns. He also ran nine times for 63 yards and a 23-yard touchdown. He plays Green Bay, Kansas City and Minnesota in the final three weeks. Odds are he’ll return to looking like an average player.

5. Defensive linemen DeMarcus Lawrence and Michael Bennett made two of the biggest mistakes of the game, which is completely unacceptable. In the first quarter, Lawrence was offside turning third-and-9 into third-and-4, which Chicago converted. They later scored on the drive. Later in the second quarter, Bennett helped Chicago convert a third-and-2 when he was offsides. Two of the Cowboys’ best players made unforced errors that helped lead to touchdowns.

6. For the second consecutive game, Ezekiel Elliott was poised to have a huge game. For the second consecutive week, the defense couldn’t keep it close long enough to feed him the ball. Elliott, who scored two touchdowns, had a run of at least 30 yards for the second consecutive week but failed to get 100 yards for the fifth straight game. It’s the longest streak of his career.

7. It was embarrassing how many tackles the Cowboys missed last night. They missed them at every level of the defense, and that’s one reason Chicago had so much success running the ball and making yards after the catch. Linebacker Sean Lee was among the culprits. He made five tackles, but he missed several others and failed to make an impact. He has struggled with missed tackles all season. Tackling has never been a problem for Lee.

8. Amari Cooper had his best road game of the season with six catches for 83 yards and a touchdown, but it didn’t matter much. Again, the Cowboys struggled to get him involved early. Prescott didn’t throw him a pass until early in the second quarter, and he finished the first half with one catch for 15 yards.

9. Jourdan Lewis made a nifty interception on Chicago’s first drive, toe-tapping along the sideline and going out of bounds at the Dallas 1-yard line. The turnover ended a streak of four games, 16 quarters and 262 plays without a turnover. They added a second turnover in the third quarter when Jaylon Smith recovered a fumble.

10. Jason Garrett’s time is coming to an end. This team no longer responds to him as evidenced by their sorry performance through three quarters against Chicago. They have regressed as a team, they don’t play with urgency and they don’t make adjustments. This team is 0-7 when trailing at halftime. That’s an indication their coach isn’t making much of an impact.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Agree on every point but according to Jerry no immediate changes are needed. Won't even replace a kicker that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
They don't need to do anything now, the season is lost. If they have a mini miracle and win the division they will get absolutely bitch slapped in the WC game and ultimately all it did was cost us a few spots of draft position.

Maher should go just because you cant perform that sorry and keep a job, and there is no backup kicker on the roster to simply just bench him. If I were running things I'd also seriously consider shutting down injured guys like Z Martin, Cooper and LVE and just get them ready for the offseason. I'd also lighten Zeke's load the last 3 games of the season. Lastly, there's a handful of young guys that should start seeing more playing time so the FO and future HC and staff can get some useful film on for their offseason planning.

This season is a 100% dumpster fire and could have been avoided had they done the right thing last offseason (or more accurately, years ago). Jones has wasted two+ decades because he is a drunken jackass and hired a bunch of boobs. He has to get this hire right.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
6. For the second consecutive game, Ezekiel Elliott was poised to have a huge game. For the second consecutive week, the defense couldn’t keep it close long enough to feed him the ball. Elliott, who scored two touchdowns, had a run of at least 30 yards for the second consecutive week but failed to get 100 yards for the fifth straight game. It’s the longest streak of his career.

JJT is an utter fool. The cowboys had so many 3 and outs on offense that they couldn't feed Zeke.

And what's not being discussed is that the D got a turnover when the Bears were moving in the 1st quarter but the offense couldn't do anything with it or gain a few first downs to change field position. If the O can move the ball, it changes the whole complexion of the game. Oh well, at least Dak is still Mr. Clutch and brings his team back in the 4th quarter. I mean, he hasn't done it this year when the team is behind at the half but that's OK, we'll find some stat to make us feel better.

kwcoolk619

Practice Squad
Reaction score
They don't need to do anything now, the season is lost. If they have a mini miracle and win the division they will get absolutely bitch slapped in the WC game and ultimately all it did was cost us a few spots of draft position.

Maher should go just because you cant perform that sorry and keep a job, and there is no backup kicker on the roster to simply just bench him. If I were running things I'd also seriously consider shutting down injured guys like Z Martin, Cooper and LVE and just get them ready for the offseason. I'd also lighten Zeke's load the last 3 games of the season. Lastly, there's a handful of young guys that should start seeing more playing time so the FO and future HC and staff can get some useful film on for their offseason planning.

This season is a 100% dumpster fire and could have been avoided had they done the right thing last offseason (or more accurately, years ago). Jones has wasted two+ decades because he is a drunken jackass and hired a bunch of boobs. He has to get this hire right.

I agree with you on shutting down the players you mentioned. At this juncture, what good would it do it they risked more serious injuries?

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score

Could not agree more...not sure I even want to win this division so the nightmare can end and we can move on to the offseason and our next coach not to mention improving draft position...Maher's statements after the game alone should get him cut and I figure it can't be worse so why not dump him...

Top Bottom