C

Cr122

WR Dez Bryant runs routes, might play against Miami: 'I feel great'

11:28 PM CDT on Thursday, August 26, 2010

SportsDayDFW.com

Dez Bryant showed some good signs at practice Thursday, running routes for the first time since he suffered a high-ankle sprain last month.

Before practice started, Bryant ran some routes for quarterback Stephen McGee under the watchful eye of wide receivers coach Ray Sherman.

"I'm excited," Bryant told the Cowboys' official site early Thursday. "I am ready for it. I know I can (cut on the ankle)."

But by the end of the session Bryant was jogging through the routes with Sherman going over the proper release techniques and footwork.

Full participation in practice could come as early as next week.

Bryant has been ruled out of this week's game with Houston and it's unlikely he'll play against Miami, even though he will lobby to do so if he's made progress.

"If I do good or great," Bryant said. "There's a possibility I might get a couple snaps in next week against Miami."

This fits the timetable that coach Wade Phillips has been told from the start. The rookie receiver should recover from his high ankle sprain in time to play against Washington to open the regular season on Sept. 12.

"I know for a fact that I'm going to be ready for Washington," Bryant said. "I know for a fact. I feel great, I feel fine. If you've been here, you've seen me run. I've been running; I've been doing a lot of good things. So I'll be ready."

• • •
SPORTSDAYDFW NOW ON MOBILE

C

Cr122

Again, we have discussed this plenty of times now, we don't want to rush him back.

Yeah, he says his ankle feels fine, but it doesn't mean he's ready for full contact.

All it takes is one person to roll up on his ankle and he's back out. Let it heal a 100%.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Again, we have discussed this plenty of times now, we don't want to rush him back.

Yeah, he says his ankle feels fine, but it doesn't mean he's ready for full contact.

All it takes is one person to roll up on his ankle and he's back out. Let it heal a 100%.

Well he can be 100% healed and someone could still roll up on his ankle and he'd be back out, so what's the difference? Before his ankle got rolled on, he was afrterall 100%.

C

Cr122

Well he can be 100% healed and someone could still roll up on his ankle and he'd be back out, so what's the difference? Before his ankle got rolled on, he was afrterall 100%.

My point is if he's rushed back and that happens the chances of re injuring it is higher. ktxbai

Reaction score
I would be more concerned about him re-injuring his ankle running routes or cutting.

sbk92

Reaction score

Right.

If we're gonna sit players for fear of someone falling on their ankle, nobody would be playing.

If he's running routes full steam in practice, then there's no reason not to play him. He's already risking it in practice.

Top Bottom