sbk92

Reaction score
Posted by jellis at 4/4/2011 4:38 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

I've been thinking about first-round trade scenarios for the Cowboys here for a while now, some more than others, but there's one possibility that hasn't yet been kicked around which may be in play.

What about trading next year's first-rounder (and some more stuff) to get a second selection in Round 1? If the Cowboys are serious about quickly becoming contenders again, adding the talent of two first-round picks immediately would be better than one, right?

The Cowboys have give up top picks in trades for veterans before, like Roy Williams and Joey Galloway. Neither of those worked out very well, but that's no reason to be gun-shy about moving up to pick a falling player the team really likes.

What if someone like Tyron Smith or Cameron Jordan fell into the 20s? Stranger things have happened in the draft.

To get a deal done, the Cowboys might only have to agree to swap picks with a team picking late in the second round, in addition to giving them next year's first, with maybe a late-rounder tossed in for their partner's trouble.

It might make sense to the guys in the Cowboys war room, especially considering that if everything works as planned, next year's No. 1 would be late anyway.

But what do you think, and what players would you do it for?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
No, this draft is weak and next year's is pretty decent.

Short of us sitting there at 9 and both Peterson and Smith are there, and the Redskins being dumb enough to send us the 10th pick for our 40th and next year's #1, no way no how.

sbk92

Reaction score
I agree. This is a weak draft. I'd have no interest short of some top 10 projection falling into the 20's.

Reaction score
Depends on the situation. But I'd prefer not to.

I mean, if a situation arose that allowed us to get both Peterson and Smith, then I'd be interested. Other than that, no thanks.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The only time I'd swap a future #1 is if I thought I was moving into a position to draft a true franchise QB, a prospect like an Aikman or Elway.

Other than that the only time I'd say it MIGHT be worth it is if you are clearly this <> close to a championship, and you identify a core veteran position player that you believe puts you over the top. We didnt trade a 1st for Haley in 1992, but we traded a 2nd and another future pick (escapes me what round) to get him, and he was clearly worth it. Further, he would have garnered a 1st easily if it wasnt for his huge falling out with Seifert and the Niners front office.

sbk92

Reaction score
Well....you have to look at from the team's perspective. If they have a solid first round grade on a player who is still around in the 2nd round, then to them it makes sense. You still have two 1st round picks in those two years. You just used both the first year.

Fans don't like it because they hate approaching a draft without a 1st. But I can understand why a team would do it.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
It does depend on how the draft unfolds and who is your dance partner. I lean towards the mindset of only trading if you thought a future franchise QB was sitting there for the taking. Not one to be had in this years crop IMO. You don't know how valuable that pick may turn out to be the following year.

sbk92

Reaction score
It does depend on how the draft unfolds and who is your dance partner. I lean towards the mindset of only trading if you thought a future franchise QB was sitting there for the taking. Not one to be had in this years crop IMO. You don't know how valuable that pick may turn out to be the following year.

But teams do have at least some idea of what's available the following year. They don't scout these guys for one year.

Reaction score
If we came away from this draft with a Carimi and Peterson, while giving away our first next year, I wouldn't be too upset.

I'd hate it leading into the draft next year though.

That said, I'm also a full fledged homer, and I fully expect to be picking in the late 20's (if not early 30's) next year.

Top Bottom