C

Cr122

August 25, 2010, 9:00 PM
Worth the Weight
Rob Phillips: Brewster's Reformation A Preseason Rite
Rob Phillips
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
Email | Follow robphillips3 on Twitter

OXNARD, Calif. - Last year, while his new Cowboys teammates lived his personal dream, Robert Brewster felt overweight and undermanned.

The third-round offensive tackle had lost his entire rookie season to a torn pectoral muscle, and although he immediately started limited rehab following surgery, he increased from about 320 to 345 pounds due to a more sedentary than usual lifestyle.

"After that I kind of lost vision," Brewster said. "I really was down on myself, too, like, 'Man, I can't believe I'm hurt.'"

He'd never really been hurt in college, starting 50 straight games at Ball State beginning as a true freshman.

He had two fronts to fight: an arduous rehab and the challenge of keeping his weight down. He recalls what Cowboys strength and conditioning coach Joe Juraszek told him: 'If I had any chance out here, that I'm going to have to drop it.'

"I stuck in there, kept my head up, knew I had to lose a lot of weight. I knew it was going to be a lot of work."

Thirteen months since the surgery, Brewster's back for what's essentially a redshirt rookie season, healthy and heartier at 319 pounds. He now has opportunity, starting his first NFL game (albeit preseason) at right tackle last Saturday night against the San Diego Chargers. With some added pass protection he held up well - "He went in and wasn't overwhelmed," offensive line coach Hudson Houck said - and also showed some versatility by switching to left tackle with the backup lines.

We've heard head coach Wade Phillips describe training camp and preseason games as a broad evaluation of individuals. It's not necessarily how particular units perform, because scheme isn't a top priority. The coaches want to see how guys carry out their assignments.

Are they better football players than last year? What did they do to improve themselves throughout the offseason?

Brewster's reformation is a rite of preseason. It's a more extreme example; players always try to get heavier or lighter, stronger or more agile, but few return from season-ending injuries before they've ever really stepped on the field.

Brewster's process has been difficult, but he got through it with the help of Juraszek and the Cowboys' athletic training staff.

It started with some rehab exercises, though he was somewhat limited for up to 16 weeks. Juraszek implemented a lower body routine for him during training camp last year and he eventually began rebuilding his upper body, starting with movements that didn't put pressure on his pectoral muscle.

"Once we got that going, the big thing was to refine his physical stature," Juraszek said. "He had to become a little more efficient physically. It's going to become a work in progress throughout his career. He's become a lot leaner."

Brewster increased his lean muscle mass by gradually losing body fat. He changed his diet by cooking healthier foods and dining out less, swapping hamburgers and carbs for more salads.

He also ran - a lot. He says the lower body training helped his footwork because for a long time he was limited mostly to that. It's an area in which Houck has seen improvement, along with technique and recognition that comes with simply playing the game.

The first part of camp was an adjustment. He struggled with his base and his feet. Rust was a factor. He hadn't been in pads since the GMAC Bowl in January of 2009.

He wasn't perfect last Saturday, but the Chargers game proved that the Cowboys are starting to get a return on their third-round investment. Although Brewster and 2010 sixth-round pick Sam Young aren't guaranteed roster spots, the Cowboys would like to keep grooming them as backups.

"Got a ways to go, but pleased with his development," Houck said.

Maintaining the proper playing weight will be critical. Nate Newton, former six-time Pro Bowler, hired a personal trainer in Florida to help him shed pounds in the weeks before training camp, then ramped up his workouts with Juraszek. Some linemen have an easier time than others.

"He's on the field, he's getting an opportunity now," Juraszek said. "What we're trying to get is to a point where he doesn't have to work on that. But for the next couple years, it's something that he has to continually work on. Hopefully the success he's seeing on the field is going to carry
RobertBrewster_082510_300.jpg

Top Bottom