C

Cr122

With Dallas Cowboys linebackers, it's 'pick and choose' your poision

11:33 PM CDT on Tuesday, August 17, 2010

SportsDayDFW.com

Dallas Cowboys linebacker Anthony Spencer was interviewed on KTCK-FM radio on Monday to discuss his role with the Cowboys and how he’s grown into it. Here are some highlights:

Does this camp feel different from previous camps now that you have found your place on the defense, on the team and know where you stand on the roster?

Oh yea, it’s a lot different than past camps. Just the fact I’m in the starting position and I’m really comfortable with the people that I have around me. I mean, we’ve been gelling really well together as a defense and it’s huge for us right now. We’re just moving along, taking big strides.

Was there any point during last season when you were freaking out because you just couldn’t get to the quarterback?

Probably like the first six, seven games I was freaking, losing my mind a little bit but once I stopped worrying about getting the sacks…I think I was putting so much pressure on myself about getting sacks and worrying about that instead of letting the game come to me…and once I started letting the game come to me and just being comfortable and just having fun out there, that’s when everything started opening up for me.

Why are you, DeMarcus Ware and Jay Ratliff so effective?

It’s a ‘pick and choose’ kind of thing. I mean, you’re either going to double team one of us…I mean, you can’t really double team all of us and you can’t really leave anyone in to do that and we play so well against the run. That’s our biggest thing, to stop the run at the beginning of the game and get them in those passing situations so we can rush the passer because we know we can rush the passer really well. We’ve been playing the run really well so it’s very fun out here. You have a lot of fun with the guys that you have on this defense just because they’ve been out here doing it for so long and when you see certain things that they do and then you try and implement it into what you’re doing, it makes the game a lot easier for me.

Does playing with the same guys for so many years make the game a lot easier?

Every year it just seems like we know what each other is going to do. We know what we can do and what we can’t do in this defense and that makes everything so much easier, just because we know what we can and what we can’t do so we know that if we can’t do it, then we know what we can do. There are so many little things that go into this sport that a lot of people don’t see, like the footwork, the hand placement, the formations, all that stuff goes into and people don’t really see. But, once you get to a certain point when you know what’s going to happen and you know what the other people around you are going to do it makes the game so much easier and a lot more fun too.

Top Bottom