sbk92

Reaction score
Mocked Out II

Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

Nebraska's Amukamara was the favorite pick a few weeks back but has since cooled off. IRVING, Texas - Mock drafts can be like opinions. Everyone seems to have one and they're usually rather different than the next guy.

That's been the case as you surface through different mock drafts around the internet. There are ranging opinions on the Cowboys' No. 9 overall pick, their highest selection since the 2003 draft when they landed CB Terence Newman.

Obviously, the Cowboys need another impact player. But who they will get is anyone's guess.

So just like we did back on March 15, here's the second version of our Mock Draft forecast. We went back to the same 10 sites to see if the picks have changed. For the most part, they have:

-

Walterfootball.com
J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin

Jay Ratliff and Stephen Bowen figure to start on Dallas' defensive line for a long time. Ratliff will continue to man the nose tackle position, but there is still a void at right end, currently occupied by an ineffective Igor Olshansky.

J.J. Watt's draft stock is continuing to gain steam, and it looks like he'll be selected in the 9-13 range. Mike Mayock went as far to say that Watt is the best five-technique he's ever seen. Mayock also stated that he's better than Tyson Jackson (I should hope so), who went No. 3 overall.

Previous Pick: Prince Amukamara, CB Nebraska

-

The New NFL Draft
Tyron Smith, OT, USC

This is a bold pick because a lot of people don't even have Tyron Smith as the top offensive tackle in this 2011 NFL Mock Draft. However, Tyron Smith has put on some good weight and he is now over 300 pounds. I believe that he will be a top-15 pick and the top offensive tackle off the board because I believe he is the most athletic tackle in this draft. Trent Williams came into the combine being a mid-to-late prospect much like Tyron Smith and he ended up being a top 10 prospect, much like I think what will happen with Smith and I have him doing so in this 2011 NFL Mock Draft.

Previous Pick: Tyron Smith, OT, USC

-

Draft Countdown
J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin

On paper the Cowboys have far fewer glaring holes than most of the teams picking this early. With that said, Dallas could go in a few different directions at this point. Based on pure need, defensive end would probably get the nod since Marcus Spears, Jason Hatcher and Stephen Bowen are all due to become free agents. Wisconsin's J.J. Watt actually began his college career as a tight end at Central Michigan, but after joining the Badgers he developed into a super productive, 6-6, 292 pound defensive lineman. Watt isn't an elite pass-rusher, but he is absolutely relentless with a non-stop motor and is versatile enough to play multiple positions in either a 4-3 or 3-4. Watt's best fit at the next level may come as a five-technique in a "30" front, and that is exactly what he'd play in "Big D". If Alabama's Marcell Dareus were to somehow fall this far he would also be an ideal fit, as would Cal's Cameron Jordan. The Cowboys had major issues in the secondary last year, so they'd be crazy to not strongly consider Nebraska CB Prince Amukamara. Dallas could also use an infusion of youth along the offensive line and if a tackle such as Tyron Smith of USC emerges as a legitimate top-10 possibility, they would probably be in the conversation as well.

Previous Pick: J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin

-

ESPN.com - Todd McShay
Tyron Smith, OT, USC

Three of the Cowboys' top four defensive ends from last year - Marcus Spears, Stephen Bowen and Jason Hatcher - played the 2010 season on one-year deals, so Dallas could very well look at Wisconsin's J.J. Watt here. However, it's better to be on the front end of a position wave than the back end, and this is the area where the run on the top four offensive tackles (at least four in the first round) could start. Smith has bulked up to 307 pounds after playing the college season at 285, and while he still has some developing to do, he also has more upside than any other 2011 tackle prospect. He has the tools to step in at right tackle (where he played at USC) as a rookie and eventually move to the left side."

Previous Pick: Prince Amukamara, CB Nebraska (Mel Kiper Jr.)

-

Football's Future
J.J. Watt, DL, Wisconsin

Prince Amukamara will be attractive, but you win with talent up front. Watt brings a toughness and attitude to the defensive line that will help the Cowboys from the get-go.

Previous Pick: Marcell Dareus, DL, Alabama

-

Bleacher Report
Tyron Smith, OT, USC

The Dallas Cowboys have seemingly ignored their offensive line for years. After getting off to a poor start last season and seeing franchise quarterback Tony Romo go down with a season-ending injury, Dallas can no longer afford to close a blind eye to their needs on the offensive line. Both their running and passing games would benefit from an O-line upgrade. Given the lack of depth at the offensive tackle in the 2011 draft class, the Cowboys are likely to pull the trigger on Southern California tackle Tyron Smith, a prospect whose momentum is building following his outstanding junior season at USC. While Smith is a naturally gifted athlete with tremendous potential, he is a raw talent who has only played right tackle at the collegiate level. Drafting Smith this high means that the Cowboys intend to make him a left tackle. Hopefully he gets the coaching he'll need to become a top-notch blind side protector.

-

NFL Draft Dog
J.J. Watt, DL, Wisconsin

Watt (6-5, 290) was the unsung hero for a very good Wisconsin team. He had an excellent combine, ran his 40-yard dash in 4.84 seconds had a 37" vertical jump, put up 34 reps on the bench press and recorded a 6.88-second time in the 3-cone drill. This is the year of the defensive lineman, and the 2012 NFL Draft should be about the wide receivers.

Previous Pick: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

-

National Football Post
Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

Speed rules at the cornerback position and the second that Amukamara ran in the sub-4.4 range he established himself as a potential top-10 pick.

-

DraftKing.com
J.J. Watt, DL, Wisconsin

It appears that the Cowboys will be in position to lose DE Stephen Bowen to free agency barring the team striking a new deal. If that happens, they could be in position to go after who many consider to be the top 3-4 DE prospect in this draft: the fast-rising J.J. Watt. I don't think he's superior to Dareus at the spot, but I do like his chances in the NFL.

At 6-6, 290 pounds, Watt was an imposing force for Wisconsin in 2010 and played a major part in helping his school reach the Rose Bowl. Watt should be able to help keep blockers away from linebackers while also being a solid force against the run. Additionally, Watt brings an element of pass-rushing from the 3-4 DE spot that is seldom seen, a feature which has helped him shoot up mock draft boards.

-

FootballExpert.com
Nick Fairley, DL, Auburn

Dallas could go a couple different ways here at No. 9, but if Fairley is still around, I believe they will select him. Fairley, who can play in both the 4-3 and 3-4, is the best player available. He will be able to play the 3-4 DE position. Marcus Spears is set to be a free agent, plus depth is needed at this position, so it fills a need. Fairley was once projected to be the No. 1 overall pick, so his stock is falling. However, I do not think there is any way he makes it out of the top 10. He is tough, physical, and has looked unblockable at times. Dallas will snatch him if he's still available.

sbk92

Reaction score
I don't think the Patriots are dumb enough to trade up into the top 10 for Watt.

Top Bottom