C

Cr122

Wade Phillips likes Jesse Holley
August, 14, 2010

By Calvin Watkins

OXNARD, Calif. -- The first West Coast news conference for Wade Phillips is over.

Phillips said the team needed more work to do and repeated his stance: "We're not a football team yet." The Cowboys will have another light practice on Saturday. It's been just two days since the second preseason game, so we guess the Cowboys will go heavy on Sunday when they have another two-a-day practice.

Here are the highlights:

*Tight end Martellus Bennett, who missed the start of training camp with a sprained ankle, only to return and practice for a handful of days has suffered a setback. Phillips said Bennett, who suffered a new injury to the ankle, won't play next week against San Diego but is expected to return for the final two preseason games.

*Phillips said he wasn't hopeful wide receiver Dez Bryant would return sooner than expected from his right high-ankle sprain. Bryant got the boot off his ankle on Saturday morning.

*Wide receivers coach Ray Sherman said wide receiver Jesse Holley is more than a novelty act. Holley if you remember became the 80th man on the roster in 2009 after winning the Michael Irvin reality show to earn a spot on the roster.

It will be interesting to see if Holley overtakes Sam Hurd's spot on special teams.

"I think Holley's played outstanding on special teams," Phillips said. "He's been a dominant special teamer and that helps his case a lot."

*Phillips was also singing the praises of backup outside linebacker Victor Butler.

"I feel good about our young linebacker’s talent wise I still think they need some work," Phillips said. "I think Victor Butler played the best and is playing well. He really stepped up this year he did some good things last year, but he's more consistent with those things."

*David Buehler is 6 of 7 in the preseason but it doesn't appear Phillips is ready to commit to his second-year kicker.

Phillips admits that Buehler's "looked awfully good.

"He's kicked six field goals in two games already and really could have won both games and I thought this last game he really hit the ball well," Phillips said. "It's partially confidence and partially going through it. They're all pressure situations for him."
--------

C

Cr122

That's the only way Holley could make it, unless Hurd doesn't.

We'll still be lucky to carry six, because of the way our offensive line is playing and the depth.

Top Bottom