C

Cr122

Wade Phillips: Tony Romo will play Saturday; 'We'll run the ball every play if we have to'

12:12 AM CDT on Friday, August 20, 2010

By DAVID MOORE and TODD ARCHER dmoore@dallasnews.com tarcher@dallasnews.com

Coach Wade Phillips addressed the notion that quarterback Tony Romo should be held out of Saturday's game because of injuries to the offensive line.

"You know, I stayed up all night and worried about Romo, but I think he'll be all right playing behind a makeshift offensive line," Phillips said facetiously. "I have confidence in our players."

Injuries to starters Marc Colombo (right tackle) and Kyle Kosier (left guard) have ignited the discussion. Phillips said the debate is silly.

"We'll come up with things that will help us protect, or we'll run the ball every play if we have to," Phillips said. "Romo needs to get ready to play. He doesn't need to sit out the whole preseason.

"Neither one of those guys [Colombo and Kosier] is going to be back during the preseason. So the theory of, 'Well, don't put him in there because those two guys are gone,' well, then he doesn't play. He just sits out.

"That's the silly part to me."

Montrae Holland, an eight-year veteran who has started in this league, will take over for Kosier. Unproven Robert Brewster will move into Colombo's spot.

Veteran Alex Barron, the backup at left and right tackle, will miss the game against San Diego but is expected to be ready for next week's game against Houston.

• • •

C

Cr122

Wade Phillips: Tony Romo will play Saturday; 'We'll run the ball every play if we have to'

That will be the fastest three and out I have ever seen.

Top Bottom